17" 2011 MBP and dGPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DualShock, Sep 22, 2016.

1. DualShock macrumors 6502

I currently have a 2011 17" MacBook Pro, one of the models affected by the failing ATI GPU.

Currently I only run OS X (macOS?) on it, with auto graphics switching, so I barely use the discrete GPU at all.

But knowing that Apple's current service campaign runs out on Dec 31, 2016, is it worthwhile to attempt to "burn out" the ATI GPU by forcing discrete graphics on, and/or installing Windows via boot camp, in order to get a logic board replacement before the service campaign expires? The machine works perfectly otherwise, and I plan on keeping it for a while, being apple's last 17" MBP model.

2. Brammy macrumors 65816

I don't know this is something you can fully force.

When the dGPU on my 15" died, it did so without running anything intensive. My GF was noticing a little slowness, rebooted it, and bam, it was dead.

I mean, I guess you could run some benchmark 24/7, but that could just mean it would fail outside of the warranty period.

3. Icecoldak macrumors member

Icecoldak

is there like a recall or goodwill repair for this issue, I also have a 2011 MBP 17". I put my serial number in the Apple website service and support page and it did not say anything about the dGPU problem?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

IMHO no as the replacement Logic Board is highly likely to have been refurbished which may well rapidly develop issues, as your usage is low and your 17" is holding up it`s not a risk worth taking.

Q-6

6. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

It is probably better doing the opposite of what you are suggesting - preventive measures to ensure proper cooling.
    ie; periodic cleaning of the inside components of dust, regulating the fans at a higher rpm, keeping the MBP elevated on a stand, etc.

7. DualShock thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all, I did not realize that Apple uses refurbished logic boards for these types of repairs. I have not had issues with their refurbished computers in the past, but I'm not so sure about their parts.

In fact, my 2011 MBP is a refurb itself, I got it in 2012, the day they announced the first 15" retina and discontinued the 17" models.

I'll just hold onto it and not try to do anything crazy to kill the ATI GPU.

8. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I had thought about this myself, but it's a 5 year old laptop and I believe it will last me until next year sometime. At that point I will replace it (if new macs are out :rolleyes:)