17" A1297 Macbook Water Damage Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fznuk, Jul 4, 2012.

  1. fznuk macrumors newbie

    fznuk

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location:
    Llanidloes, Wales
    #1
    Hi Guys,

    I may have posted up something on this sometime ago but on reading other similar threads on the water damaged no charge issue i wonder if its possible mine is not so severe but could do with some advice on where to look and test initially if you can help?

    I got the Mac book knowing it was water damaged (ex demo...overhead flood in shop) - Initially it did power on automatically only with the mag connection...keyboard was faulty (so was power button) - Replaced keyboard..reinstalled OSX... all fantastic... even bought a new battery but this didnt charge either.

    I have been using the Mac for a while now on PSU only with no problems at all....even found a fellow 17" mac owner so i could charge my battery via their mac...just so i didnt lose the time and wireless settings etc.

    I would LOVE to have it charging again and was hoping maybe one fuse/resistor as a fuse has just blown?

    When i opened the Mac originally i found corrosion on various parts of the board so the laptop was just closed and boxed after the water damage....so the battery would have been live...and it possible plugged in at the time if out on the shop floor....so, since its ALL working perfectly apart from charging....the battery IS feeding the time and settings (pram?) but will not turn on from battery..only mains?

    I would even go as far as getting an SMD rework station if it was all worth it?

    Cheers. :)
     
  2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    #2
    First thing I'd do is open it and thoroughly clean all the major components, in this case, the logic board. My typical method of cleaning is rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush. I've had a great success reviving completely dead or partially dead boards with nothing but a good cleaning.
     
  3. fznuk thread starter macrumors newbie

    fznuk

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location:
    Llanidloes, Wales
    #3
    Hiya,

    Thanks for the reply... but i cleaned the board as thorough as i could with a brush and isopropyle alcohol ... istripped the board completely to do it too but this is now as far as i can go without knowing where to check for faults?

    Im hoping its an open component that acts as a fuse but i know components that blow is not always necessarily where the fault lies :(

    If anyone knows any more, please help ;)
     

Share This Page