Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Hi
I have recently bought a 15" 1.5 Powerbook replacing an old G4.
My monitor is still prefectly fine to use - it's a 17" CRT Apple Studio Display with an ACD plug. It has no power cable and no way of adding a power cable. It draws the power form the computer - all through one plug.
I have of course discovered that I need an ACD to DVI adaptor to connect the monitpor to the laptop. Tried that and all I got was a black screen. The laptop was recognising the screen was there - the screen just wasn't turning on.
Took the adaptor back and got it tested, it's fine, then Sales guy finds out from his tech support guy that my particluar model of monitor won't work with the laptop.
Have done a bit of research to see if there are any 3rd party solutions - DVIator is around but specifically says "The ADC 17" CRT Studio Display is not supported by DVIator as it uses analog signals instead of the digital signals that DVIator expects".
Just wondering if anyone knows of any other avenues that might be worth trying as it's a good monitor and isn't ready to be retired yet.

thanks Steph

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
steph said:
Hi

Have done a bit of research to see if there are any 3rd party solutions - DVIator is around but specifically says "The ADC 17" CRT Studio Display is not supported by DVIator as it uses analog signals instead of the digital signals that DVIator expects".

thanks Steph
Yes correct, the 17" CRT Studio Display is a VGA monitor with a ADC plug.

Considering it is basically the only computer monitor in the world with this arrangement, there's a darn good reason people haven't supported it.

If you want that picture tube in a current VGA monitor, the Mitsubishi Diamondtron-based monitors should be a good substitution and come in larger sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.