17" Delayed: 15 or 17?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NathanM, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. NathanM macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2009
    #1
    Well everyone's 17" order has been delayed, and I really needed mine for my Digital Media course I am starting. I was going to get the 17" because I needed the matte screen since I would be doing lots of video editing and design work.

    I was just wondering should I wait until i get my 17" (feb 27 shipping) and nto have a laptop for a few weeks during my course at college OR should I Just go and get the 15" even though it has the glossy screen. Oh and I will NOT be getting a external monitor to get the "best of both worlds" since I can't afford that.

    So should I cancel my order and go with 15" or?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the new thread.

    Nathan
     
  2. isethx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #2
    to start i have a feeling people will tell you for the difference between the 15'' and 17'' with matte, you can buy a decent external so you can have best of both worlds

    but i guess it comes down to how bad do you want the 17''. if you won't regret going with the 15'' then just buy it and enjoy your class. if you really want the 17'' then rough it out i guess. if a computer is just a convenient thing to have and you can use school computers for a few weeks, and you want the 17 that bad then wait =)
     
  3. Quu macrumors 68020

    Quu

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #3
    I don't know how you can expect someone else to answer this as its your money and your machine. You're just going to get answers like 'Well I got a 15 and I like it' and 'I have a current 17 and I wouldn't go back to a 15'.

    If you still want the 17" then wait, if you cant wait and need a Notebook right now buy a 15" its that simple.
     
  4. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    #4
    Talk to your professors.

    90% of the time, the school will provide you with the computers for your work. A lot of places even offer 24 hour computer labs, if you're in such dire need.

    There are cheaper matte screen covers for around $20USD as well, though they will make the picture very slightly blurry, you may or may not see the difference.

    The glossy screen might not be the worst idea either, it's often a matter of preference.

    Either way, the price difference between a 15in model and a 17in model is about $300 (this is going by the educational discount offered at my university), and at this point, you might just be able to go for that external monitor for your dorm or home.

    Even computer intensive programs don't always rely on their students to purchase computers (If they do, they usually give quite a bit of advanced warning or do not require them until a couple of weeks into the beginning). What might seem like a necessity may not always be one, and if it is a requirement, you should be getting a bit of help in obtaining your notebook by your university.
     
  5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #5
    You 17" should arrive before the 27th Shipping date, Apple even in this case are probably putting a worst case spin on things.

    I would wait the extra few weeks and get the 17", you need the matte screen and the extra portable space will help you on your course, you wont regret waiting.

    Good things come to those who wait :):apple:
     
  6. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    #6
    if u can live without a laptop a couple weeks its way better to wait for the 17inch. if u ABSOLUTELY need to have a laptop and cant use the library or computer lab for a mere couple weeks for whatever u have to do in college then take the inferior 15".

     
  7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #7
    Get the 17", whats 2-3 weeks on what you REALLY want deep down inside. :D

    Patience is virtue and in this case 2-3 weeks doesnt require that much patience + its that much worth it.
     
  8. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #8
    Ditto. I know if I was to get the 15" over the 17" I'd regret it because I'd know I could have waited a couple of more weeks and got the better resolution and more screen real estate (and I'm really impatient, so imagine how annoyed I am!)
     
  9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

    The Samurai

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    Location:
    Glasgow
    #9
    Yeah, I would wait a few days for the new one to be released.

    As I said in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised if they released it earlier than they originally state on their literature - it will be viewed as a positive thing by customers thus increasing brand image.
     

Share This Page