17" dell flat panel with MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benlee, Apr 17, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I just tried hooking up a 17'' flat panel dell monitor to my MBP. the dell monitor has resolutions capable of 1280X1024. Im trying to add a little screen real estate. However, it just doesnt look right. for example, The text in itunes looks blurry. I tried calibrating it many times and it still doesnt seem to come out looking right. Now my eyes are all messed up and even my MBP display looks wierd to me because all the calibrating made my eyes a little f'd up.

My question is does anyone have experience with this? What do i have to do to get it so i will actually use it. I will not use it with it looking like this because it sorta strains my eyes. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

First, are you connecting using DVI or VGA. I would highly recommend the DVI option if possible.

Second, did you make sure that the display setting are set to the Dell's maximum resolution? You probably did but I just want to confirm this.

If you are given the option, try another refresh rate. Also changing the font smoothing options under Appearances in System Preferences can help sometimes.

The Dell monitor should have its own controls. In the past I have had to very carefully tweak all of the monitors settings to get rid of that very problem you are having. I don't remember how I did it but it had to do with changing some of the advanced monitor settings.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

All good suggestions, except for the refresh rate: that won't have any effect. LCDs don't redraw their screens in a scan-line fashion like CRTs do. They do not actually have a refresh rate.

Connecting via DVI should eliminate all the need to adjust the advanced monitor settings (phase shift and all that only effects VGA I believe). If the monitor doesn't have DVI, then yeah you'll probably have to screw around with all the advanced settings.

4. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I'm using the dvi to vga cable included with the MBP. However, the VGA cord is detachable from the monitor, so is it possible to buy a dvi cable?

On the other hand, I just found the font smoothing option i might try. What are the advanced settings you are talking about? within the monitors menu? or the calibration menu? is it best to put up a picture or text document on the monitor a calibrate to that?

Also, any negative consequences to connecting an external monitor? Any care i should take?

Sorry for all the questions...im just not to keen on this subject in particular and there isnt much literature out there.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You can't just buy a different cable...the monitor has to actually have a DVI input. Some 17" Dells do, some don't. You should be able to see the DVI connector on the back if it has one. If it has a DVI input, definitely buy a DVI cable and ditch the VGA connection.

I haven't messed with VGA settings in a long, long time. What I'm talking about is in the monitor's menu, yes. You just kind of have to experiment, I can't see your monitor. One I remember making a difference with fuzziness was something called "phase shift" or "pixel clock" or something like that.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Which monitor?

Also, if you're using it in analog mode than the refresh rate does have a bearing - LCD screens may not have the same sort of refresh rate as CRT's but they still have to interpret the same signal. Set the refresh to 60hz if not already set. In any case, it's best to use the DVI connector.