17" Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cromagnetron, Aug 1, 2011.

  1. cromagnetron macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    #1
    I'm 6 to 9 months away from buying my third-in-a-row 17" MBP. The rumor mill is saying the next model will be a thin Air-style version that will not have a DVD drive, will only have an on-board SSD, and possibly a higher resolution screen. I can live without the DVD drive and while I would really prefer a discrete SSD that could be replaced easily (my current 2009 MBP has an SSD that I like very much), I could live with an on-board too. What I haven't heard anything about is whether it will still have an ExpressCard slot. I have an EC SSD installed that is a much-used part of my daily workflow. (No, I'm not interested in partitioning the internal system drive.) So, my dilemma is whether to buy a current 2011 model with the DVD and ExpressCard slot, or to wait for the new model and take my chances that it won't have the configuration I really want. Any thoughts? Has anyone heard anything about ExpressCard support on the next 17" model?
     
  2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

    getz76

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location:
    Hell, AL
    #2
    Why not wait to see what happens, then buy either the new revision or the old model at a discount?
     
  3. cromagnetron thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    #3
    I thought about that, but if I decide on the older model, I would want to order it direct from Apple in order to configure it the way I want it and once the new model is released, the old model is no longer available in the Apple Store.
     
  4. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

    Jazwire

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #4
    If your 6-9 months away from buying then why not wait, that puts you Jan-March 2012.

    Which is about when the new MacBook Pros will be out. (I'd say Late Feb.-March.)

    If you had money in your pocket today, I'd say buy one today.
     
  5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    #5
    Two questions

    1) Why is this topic created? (see 2)

    2) If you aren't getting it in that long period of time anyway, why did you waste the time coming here and asking?

    That's like saying: Hey I'm getting a car in 8 months. Should I get the current year or one that might come out that NOBODY knows about?

    Aside from the apparent flaw in logic and/or reasoning here, this is obviously a question you can answer for yourself. You're using the darn thing, decide what you do and don't want and get it. I don't see why you need us to tell you anything.
     
  6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #6

    I think it is far more likely that there will be 2 lines. MacBook pro and MacBook air. Doubt they'll condense down to just one line.
     
  7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

    getz76

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location:
    Hell, AL
    #7
    For what, exactly? Post-purchase upgrades are cheaper.
     
  8. antster94 macrumors 6502a

    antster94

    Joined:
    May 2, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #8
    If you don't like the refresh then either pick up a refurb 2011 model, or buy it from a retailer that isn't Apple, as they tend to have to clear backlog of stock for the first couple of weeks after a refresh.
     

Share This Page