17" Four Finger Swipe / LED?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by porterjr, Oct 27, 2008.

1. porterjr macrumors newbie

I just got my new 17" Macbook Pro which I ordered about a week after the Keynote. I thought the new 17" had the four finger swipe as well, my does not. I was on the phone for about an hour with Apple and got both response as I was telling them that their web site said "Four Finger Swipe" on the new 17" tech specs. The told me this was a mistake, only the 13 and 15 inch have them.

I also am wondering if I have an LED screen. Under system profiler my Display says LCD. I was not sure if this is a typo or what.

In display prefs, my model number is: 9C7A

Any input? I just want to be sure I got the right machine....

2. FuzzMonkey macrumors newbie

All laptop displays are LCD. LED is the type of backlighting, most laptops use CCFL(?).

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If you have a MacBookPro with the resolution of 1920 by 1200, then it's only available with LED backlighting. The older 1680 by 1050 has cold cathode lighting. Also... there's a sticker on the Mac Box with your computer's specification printed on.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wrong! Depending on the display, some laptops/notebooks have started to used OLED (an Organic form of LED) display screens though they're usually reserved for professional applications cause OLED displays are still very new and expensive. Once more, OLED display don't require a backlight since the display are self-illuminating. I doubt Apple be using them for a long long time!

Newer laptops have change from CCFL to LED cause it's more economical on power and unlike CCFL's, LED backlight doesn't fail, even after 5 years of continuous lighting!! The entire MacBook and MacBookPro range now uses LED backlighting, all thanks to Apple becoming green.

Please check your facts and information before you post mis-leading information. Thanks.

5. Trippy Jr macrumors member

What laptops currently feature OLED?

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Samsung is rumoured to be releasing a 12" super slim OLED notebook in the forthcoming year, they've already built an prototype, you can read more about it here, though it's in Korean.:p

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

so there aren't any out now... is that what you're saying ?? ...

8. sfroom macrumors regular

It should indicate whether the LCD is LED backlit on the description sticker which is under the battery.

I understand from other posters on the forums that the new 17" model does not support 4 finger gestures, and that the tech specs are mistaken. I believe some people have been able to get a credit back from Apple as a result.

9. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

do you have the links to these posts?

i checked on the UK site and it does state "supports two-finger scrolling, pinch, rotate, three- and four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap and drag capabilities"

how much of a credit back from Apple were people getting?

10. porterjr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I was told that what was on the Apple web site about 17" support for the 4 finger swipe was wrong and they reported it.

11. FuzzMonkey macrumors newbie

Cheers for pointing that out, i wasn't aware OLED had made it this far! In regards to the OP's question though, all apple laptops have LCD displays. Maybe i should of said all currently available laptops have LCD displays.