17'' i7 OR 13'' + Sony F?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SSSpain, Apr 27, 2010.

1. SSSpain macrumors newbie

Hi everybody! :)

I'd been waiting for the MBP updates for nearly 3 months (since I realized that my laptop does not cut it anymore and I want to buy my first Mac). I couldn't be happier when they were updated on the 13th (which is also my birthday), but I've been very busy and could not sit down to order before now.

I want a Macbook Pro because I want to try the beautiful OS, and because the hardware design of Apple is simply gorgeous. I had no doubts about what to order before — I plan on doing graphic/webdesign mainly and I wanted a 17'' because of the resolution (I was hoping for the 15'' model to get a full HD screen but that didn't happen). However, I just realized that for the price of a Core i7 17'' Macbook Pro, I can get a Sony Vaio F Series with a Full HD display, Bluray, a Core i7 processor AND a base 13'' Macbook Pro. This is looking attractive to me since it'd be nice to have a small laptop (I'm a college student), but I'm not sure if it's a crazy idea. Some of you may ask why I don't get a desktop and a 13'' if I'm open to the idea of two computers anyway; the answer is that I'm not sure if I'll move in a few months, and a desktop would be a hassle to travel to another country with.

I'll be spending the same amount of money either way, so any thoughts/opinions/advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Get the 13". Figure out if you like the OS. As a college student who has a 17" and a netbook running OS X; I still don't use the latter very much.

What are your needs?

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I would go with the 17" MBP if I were you. You said that value the design on the MacBook Pro, well the design of the Sony Vaio F series is truly horrid in comparison. It is over an inch thick at the back too.

Not to mention that once you get used to OS X, you probably won't want to use Windows all that much - unless you have a working requirement for it. This leads me to think that your main powerhouse, in your case the Vaio, would quickly become unused and you'd regret not purchasing the larger MBP.