17" i7 overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyle99, Apr 26, 2010.

1. kyle99 macrumors newbie

I read that these have a serious overheating problem, and considering I just ordered a 17" i7 MBP, I'm fairly concerned with this. Is there any truth to this, and does it pose a serious threat to your computer?

2. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

No.

3. underblu macrumors regular

4. mbpjohnson macrumors member

IN normal use such as email and web browsing and playing around with some pictures mine doesn't even get warm.

Phil

5. kyle99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks guys, I feel much better now. Can't wait :)

6. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

So far my 15" i7 hasn't had much heat issues. Everyday things, virtually no heat.

Now when I was using HandBrake, it got quite toasty. ;) (See attachment)

But that was with the CPU running at literally 98-100% and being overclocked. So, they can get hot, but I just turned a portable fan on and pointed it at my MBP and it dropped the temp to the mid 80's.

Attached Files:

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

15" i7 cool and quiet under everyday use. Was afraid the i7 would run hot but I was wrong.

And you will have more surface area of metal to dissapate heat than I.

8. stodge macrumors member

Im downloading, browsing, just quite garageband, just finished watching a youtube video; 52C 2000rpm fan.

9. Pax macrumors 6502a

IMHO the report was hype to get interest up in the site.

MBPs have always been able to reach 100 C briefly when you redline the CPU. The Core2Duo models do it and it seems the i7s do as well. My C2D 13" does it, lots of others posters' on here do it as well. Then the CPU falls back to about 90 C.

So the article could have been written about any of the millions of MBPs manufactured in the last two or three years.

Nothing to see here. Your i7 will be fine, it will get exactly as hot as the millions of other MBPs out there. AFAIK there are no systematic problems with them.