17" iMac SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by twoehr, Nov 18, 2014.

1. twoehr macrumors member

I'm debating whether it is worth proactively upgrading to SSD, or reserve that for when a future HD failure occurs.

I recently acquired two 17" iMac refurbs, they are the educational model, aka Late 2006 CD, A1195, EMC2124 or "5,2". Anyway, since upgrading from 1 GB to 2 GB of RAM the one is much happier, boots faster, programs load faster. So I'm thinking that my next upgrade may not have good ROI and wanted to see what others thought, especially fellow model owners and those that may have in fact done the upgrade. Basically I was going to purchase a 240GB SSD, probably whatever was on sale next for ~$100. But with the computer being what it is, and only having SATA I interface. I'm now thinking my idea may be fine for when the hard drive dies, but really isn't worth it now.

The use case is that these will be computers for my senior citizen parents, in the hopes they can become OSX knowledgable, and for my 7 yo daughter to learn and have her own computer. So basically, they'll be web browsers. :D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Late 2006 was a C2D model, I have the 20" 2.33GHz. Nice machine. A little slow to load web pages, but otherwise runs great! I'd definitely recommend the SSD, it'll speed things up considerably, especially for that price. Easy upgrade too.