Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaonashi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I know it will probably sound like a stupid question but is the only difference between the new 17 inch MBP and the 15 inch the screen size or did they make other upgrades as well?

I ask because I got a new 15 inch literally 3 weeks ago and am wondering whether I made a huge mistake. It seemed like the only difference was the screen size and I did not want the 17 inch because A) I didn't need it, and B) I wanted to be able to travel easily with it and I figured the extra two inches would just make it much more bulky especially on an airplane.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I know it will probably sound like a stupid question but is the only difference between the new 17 inch MBP and the 15 inch the screen size or did they make other upgrades as well?

I ask because I got a new 15 inch literally 3 weeks ago and am wondering whether I made a huge mistake. It seemed like the only difference was the screen size and I did not want the 17 inch because A) I didn't need it, and B) I wanted to be able to travel easily with it and I figured the extra two inches would just make it much more bulky especially on an airplane.

1) It's not too bulky to carry with you at all. It's only a pound heavier than the 15"

2) The only differences are the extra USB port, the 17" screen, the battery (on the unibody), the added cooling due to larger size, and the slightly faster processor. In fact, it's just a 15" mobo in a bigger case.

3)if you don't need it, then keep the 15"

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The 17" has a better battery life - but not a user-replaceable battery.

The 17" can be faster, but not by much.

The 17" can hold 8GB. The 15" unofficially maxes out at 6GB (4GB officially).

I have a new 15" and an older-style 17" (which is basically the same size as the new one). I prefer the 17" only because I crave the high-res screen. But when I'm not coding? The 15" is a lot easier to bring around.

Kaonashi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
That link gives me:

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Kinda funny considering the reason I didn't try to do a search is because I assumed that I'd get way too many results to really look through on any possible search term that would give me a comparison between the two.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Kinda funny considering the reason I didn't try to do a search is because I assumed that I'd get way too many results to really look through on any possible search term that would give me a comparison between the two.

The sad truth is they are all the same.

When I do a search I usually don't look to post, I am looking for an answer.

My GFX card was crapping out today and I heard somewhere about an issue with the 8600GT, so I searched to see if I had such an issue, what caused it, and what the solution would be.

I found all those answers in one thread within minutes, and never posted a thing since I had my answers. :)

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
I'm wondering the same things. Got a 15 inch a couple of weeks ago and am thinking I should have held out. From what I read the 17 is not too much bigger, hinge is tighter and backlight bleed is not as bad. Then there is the battery, I think I'd like it. I've always wanted a replaceable battery, thought I'd keep a spare charged up and ready to go, but then I never did. So 6 hours would be really nice. On my new 15 inch battery life is maybe 2 hours, takes forever to charge, and sucks it down when sleeping.

Good luck in your choice.

John B.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
FWIW, I've had a lot of MBs and MBPs. I get a new one about every year and usually use it every single day 'til the next one.

I got a 17" two years ago thinking it was "just a little bigger" than the 15 I had. And I was very, very excited about it (as you can see from my post history on this site :))

But in reality it didn't even last me the full year because that "little bit bigger" makes a big difference in portability in real life. I never thought it would, but it did.

I ended up swapping it for my old 15" and actually started using that instead.

I hope Apple will soon enable 8GB in the 15. I wish they would also include the newer battery (I know that would be controversial, but i would like it. I hate the battery door and I would want the extra capacity instead)

iphonematt

Jul 10, 2007
If find the 17" just too big. Not in weight, but in dimensions because of the 17" display. When using the 17", it is great, but being a student I needed a little big more portability so I went with the 15". Just my 2 cents.

Essjay

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I would buy a 15in right now if it had a high-res screen. But the new 17in is kind of enticing right now. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.