17-inch MacBook Pro and No Backlit LED?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GStreakT, Nov 18, 2007.

1. GStreakT macrumors member

I have been torn between buying a 15 inch and 17 inch MacBook Pro. My initial theory was to just buy a 17 inch MacBook Pro (seeing that the 15 inch is not significantly cheaper compared to the 17 inch). I was happy with all the 17 inch configurations except that it has no back lit LED display. My question is why? Seeing that it's the top of the line notebook (it even has 3 USB ports and a front load for DVDs), but it "conveniently" does no include backlit LED. Is this such a very precious feature I could do without? Will no backlit LED make the MBP battery more vulnerable to swelling? Also would anyone know if the 17 inch will be upgraded with this feature anytime soon?

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The reason it doesn't have LED backlighting yet is because 17" laptops are not as popular as 15.4" laptops. Since 15.4" is the industry's most popular size, it's easier to secure components for them at a lower price. I think you can expect LED backlighting to appear in the 17" sometime next year at the earliest.

Out of curiosity, why do you want a 17"? How large is the price difference between the two models you're interested in? It might be more prudent to just buy an external display.

3. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

O, I thought 17 inches were more popular with the commercial and graphic design industries. But you're right. It makes more sense to purchase an external display. I was only considering the midranged 15 inch MacBook Pro (2.4 GhZ) and the 17-inch. Only last night, I had a hunch that the 15 inch MBP might be a better choice.

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I am torn as well. As I already own a 20" ACD, I think I will go for a 15" MBP after MWSF08.

At the moment, the MacBook is doing just fine. Having said that, there is no real reason for me to upgrade my laptop... I should probably just save my money. I love the MBP design though :(

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

They probably are, but that's a niche market. I believe that the base mbp is the best selling of the mbp models. And, my point was more to the industry as a whole. By far, 15.4" PC laptops are the best selling size. Hence, the cost of those screens is lower than other smaller or larger screens that are less popular.
    Yes, I think that is your best bet. How soon do you need your mbp? It might be worth your while to wait until January if you can. If you can't, don't bother waiting and just get one now.

The mbp is sweet looking (and sweet performing) but yes, save your money. Apple goodies can be hard to resist, but we've got to try.:eek:

6. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Well, the MacBook I have is a prototype (with 60 GB). But of course these applications + Adobe CS 2 + Microsoft Office has devoured quite a bit of memory. I only have 16 GB left. Plus, I've installed XP but my PC games (the really demanding ones like The Sims 2) have been installed on my external hardrive. My external's running out of space too as it contains backups of my MacBook folders and files as well. The art courses I'll be taking like Typopgrahy'll require me to work with lots and lots of fonts. While this MacBook still has some life left, I feel it's slowed down tremendously and it's not working to it's fullest. It's just good for surfing the internet, emailing and chatting but not for editting digital files. Like you said, I could wait but then again I could place a order in a week or so. I heard that the MBPs will be updated but it won't be anything significant. I think all the configurations on the MBP is perfect (including the sweet Geforce 8600). Even if Apple does update their MBPs I know I certainly won't cry over it.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What do you mean by "prototype" macbook?

I think your situation is a toss-up. You probably would benefit from a new mbp now, but there's always that desire to know what's coming at MacWorld.:eek:

8. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Prototype MacBook as in the first of its kind with the 60 GBs (and now of course its updated to 80 Gbs). I'm actually glad my situation's calling for a new system. I won't know what to do with my poor MacBook then. I' a loyal pack-rat, so I can't even bear the thought of selling it, lol.

Sometimes I wonder, how can the MacBook Pros even be updated (except for the swollen battery problem, but I don't know if thats been fixed or not). That GeForce card is well ahead of its time so I don't expect they'll be upgrading the graphics card either. The MacBook Pro is perfect as it is. I can't think of anything else to add or even remove! Apples going to have a hard time.

9. jablko macrumors member

If I want a laptop, I want something that I can carry easily. That's not a 17 inch MBP. For the price difference, you can also get an external monitor, upgrade the hard drive to 250gb, or buy 4gb of third-party ram. You'll see more productivity increases from any one of those upgrades than from 1.6 extra inches of screen. Add that to the LED's longer battery life, extra brightness, and lower weight, I think that their are few reasons to get the 17 inch screen except, perhaps, mobile gaming or a salesman who makes presentations without a projector or external screen.

Having said all that, if you can wait for the mobile Penryns to come out (shipping could be anywhere from late January to early March), they should run much cooler than the current processors, which is a big deal to notebook users. If you can't wait, Coolbook has been updated for Santa Rosa and does a remarkable job of cooling down your lap.

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I think rather than an extra 2" of screen space - it's the higher resolution option with the 17" that would be worth while and hold any appeal.

The fonts can be small, but I had a 1680 x 1050 Smell 15" Laptop that I could do SO much more on than the 1280 x 800 screen of the same size could. Smell even had a 1920 x 1200 15" LCD screen! (this was over 3 years ago) But it only had an ATI video card, (and I wanted Nvidia) So I declined that. I could only imagine how small the native resolution text would have been in XP. :)

But seriously - I don't see this as an extra 2 inches making a difference - but a couple hundred more lines of resolution in both directions being the advantage.

You do hold valid points on the Ram / Hard Drive and External Monitor though. All of those I did to my Smell as well, and they helped a lot at home.

11. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, you do have a point there, Jablko. You've enlightened and convinced me. As for the new Penryns, I have no problem with the laptop heat. It's in my nature to bear excessive heat. And plus, there is CoolBook like you said :)

12. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

The 17" is a beast. I would love one. Then again, I would love one of each!

I still want the MBP. I always will. I just don't need it. Especially with a 20" ACD. I have portability and nice screen estate at home...

13. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

I don't blame you :) I only wish that the ACDs came with an iSight camera. I actually wonder why Apple didn't include them? It's like the MacBook Pro coming without a magnetic catch.

14. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I guess so. I suppose an iSight would be cool. I hardly use mine at all though. If someone does want to chat I pop open the notebook.

I am still tempted so much by a MBP after MWSF08. I have wanted one (powerbook) since that design came out. Now is the first time I could afford it... but the MacBook is doing OK for what I do. Argh!

15. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Speaking of which why doesn't the MacBook Pro have a magnetic catch?

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, Apple probably came up with a mock up, but it might not have looked as good. Or, there might be some problem with it related to aluminum. That's all I can guess.

17. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, yeah. But the aluminum Apple uses isn't raw aluminum, is it? I mean I know it's polished but I thought it would be oxidized or so, making it not dangerous to any magnets that may be inside the machine?

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm really not sure. Some users have reported feeling an electric shock when they're not using a grounder with their AC adapter, so the case might be slightly susceptible to electromagnetic forces.

The current magnets in the mbp lid are weak, so they probably don't cause any problems. The magnets used in the macbook case are much stronger.

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

By magnetic "catch" are you saying the "latch" or lock assembly for holding the LCD panel closed? Or the mag-safe adapter?

Well - Aluminum not being very ferrous shouldn't be an issue with a latch working. (the fields should penetrate it just fine I believe)

An issue could be FOD, or metallic items that could get drawn to that assembly before you close your laptop. Say a paperclip, staple, or anything likely to be around your computer. And say you unwittingly latch that display shut - with whatever sticks to it, on there.

Things could get ugly.

Now that I think of it - the same scenario would be equally ugly with the magsafe adapter. I sure hope they somehow shield the contacts when it's not coupled to your laptop.

I need to go actually look at a new Apple Macbook sometime this decade. I'm just afraid I'll end up buying one. :confused:

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I was referring to the weak magnet that forces the little arms out and holds the display down (I think Powerbooks and iBooks used this as well).

But you're right, aluminum isn't ferrous compared to most other metals. However, the other points you brought up have probably been thought out by Apple already.

One interesting note though; yesterday, I was plugging in my USB mouse, and the darn thing kept getting attracted to the Magsafe port (I wasn't paying too much attention at first). So I suppose Apple assumes that you won't take a paperclip or anything else like that near the Magsafe or the display.

However, back to the point, there must be a good reason why Apple hasn't introduced that closing mechanism in the mbp line yet. Perhaps there are other concerns we don't know about?

21. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

I actually meant the latch that snaps the Macbook shut. I know the MacBook Pro though has a lock assembly. I just think it's more convenient with a latch.
    As for paperclips and staples, I think I had a few loose ones at the bottom of my bookbag, and when I took my laptop out of there, it had a paperclips clinging to the port where the Magsafe could connect to the machine. I actually do find it pretty dangerous, just in case staples, like you said, could wedge themselves in. I guess then it's a wise choice of being a little more vary with the MacBook Pro's design.