17 inch macbook pro - Only 680$!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marchellobb, Apr 24, 2009.

1. marchellobb macrumors member

Alright, so I've just found a local newspaper ad selling a 17' Macbook pro for 680$. Is this even possible? I thought these machines sold for close to 2k?

here are his words:

Up for sale Apple MacBook!

- 17 inch 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
    - 4mb L2 cache
    - 800 Mhz Bus Speed
    -17inch screen
    It comes with all the manufactured accessories, books, manuals.

If you are interested, please contact me. Thanks!

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

or selling something he stole...

but if it sounds too good to be true

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

It's the previous generation MacBook Pro, and he doesn't mention that it is new. Could be up to 2 years old.

I see nothing wrong with the ad at all. $700 would be about right for a laptop of that age.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

6. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

Is there anything particularily wrong with that 'period' of mabook pros? (Sorry this would be my first mac ever, so I don't know anything about them.)

These can be upgraded up to 4GB ram right?

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Depending on generation, 3.3GB could be the max. Also, the NVIDIA 8600M is a dodgy GPU, and is most likely to fail at some point. Though you do get an extra year cover from Apple, and if it did fail outside the extra year, they might be generous since the GPU really should not fail so quickly at all.

I heard a story on here of some guy who got a second hand MBP for a nice price, and the GPU failed so the logic board got replaced under warranty, then a week later something else went wrong and he got a brand new Unibody MBP as a replacement. But then that's a one in a million chance.

It is the GPU I'd be concerned about, I'd want to know how old the MBP is and if it had extended AppleCare or not.

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Only one way to find out... and make sure you meet in a public place.

9. Illicit macrumors 6502

no receipt, no warranty.
    if you decide to check it out anyway, meet at an apple store to confirm the computer's authenticity.

10. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Either it's a typo or somethings wrong. If it's too good to be true, it is. There is no non-shady reason someone would sell a 17in MBP for that little if it were in perfect running condition.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or someone doesn't know the market value of it.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

These days, hey, you never know.

It's probably a ripoff, or someone who is about to lose the house and has some cash a ways off.

13. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

becareful. It's greed that gets people ripped off.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It will take 4 gigs of ram. The top end 17" mbp that only took 3.3 gigs of ram was the 2.33 c2d 17". It's probably an early 07' model that has the 8600 card.

In addition to meeting at a public place and/or taking to an apple store, I'd also suggest taking a copy of the apple hardware test or the tech tool pro cd that comes with applecare to test the system.

Have the guy sign a bill of sale that lists the serial number of the unit and the amount you paid for it. That way you can at least prove that you're a purchaser in good faith if it turns out to be stolen. You could also call your local police department with the serial number before the sale to see if its listed as stolen.