17 Inch MacBook Pro Sleeve Suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ideal.dreams, May 21, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Hey guys,

I'm going to start taking my MacBook Pro to school, but I don't want to throw it in my bookbag with my books because it'll get scratched up. Can anyone recommend a good sleeve? I'm looking for something with no handle or anything to carry it by, just something to slide it into to protect it.

My dad just bought a "Just Air" sleeve for his MacBook but it stops at 15.5 inches, and will not fit my 17" MacBook pro. If anyone could recommend anything similar to that, I'd appreciate it!

Also, I have a budget of under $40.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The booq Vyper is the best protection I've ever seen in a notebook sleeve. In my opinion, it offers far better protection than any neoprene case, the zippers never come into contact with your MBP, and it looks great!
    [​IMG]

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The price is a bit steep on that one, but thanks for the quick reply!

4. RolandVet macrumors member

I'm totally into waterfield, check them at WWW.sfbags.com The sleeve case is only $45 without any added gizmos.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

5. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

booq is very nice, see also crumpler school hym 17

these cases may be expensive, but they have great protection for your mbp.

6. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I use a Moshi Codex for my 17 inch. Very happy with it, a bit pricy of excellent sleeve.

7. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

RolandVet: Thanks, but not really what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find something with a zipper instead of a flap.

mbp17xxx: The price range on those are too high for me - I'm not necessarily looking for something with super protection, just something to slide it into to prevent scratching.

Jiten: That's almost a case for it. I just want something to slide it into, not something to use it in. Thanks though.

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

9. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

If the Booq Vyper is too expensive, try the Booq taipan sleeve. It has a zipper, and has provided great protection for my 15" MBP. It comes in a 17" size as well.

10. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

dolphindolphin: That's just what I'm looking for, but according to their site it's been discontinued and is no longer for sale. I found it elsewhere but it's close to $60.00.

Queen of Spades: The Incase Neoprene and Air Sumdex caught my eye - do you think one is better than the other?

11. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I can't tell you what the Air Sumdex feels like, I've never seen it in person. You might want to google it and see if there are any reviews of it online (amazon or others).

The Incase Neoprene sleeve is probably my favorite overall sleeve. It's clean, simple, and high quality. The interior is a nice, soft material, and it lasts. I have one I've had for 3 years and it's still in excellent shape. I have a lime green one I found clearanced at Marshall's for $15, and I use it daily to transport my MBP to work in my backpack. Keeps my MBP scratch-free and safe. You can also find them at Apple Stores, Best Buys, Microcenters, etc. for $40 retail if you wanted to see them in person. It's a great sleeve.

Good luck.

12. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I think I'm gonna go with the Incase one, thanks for the suggestions!

13. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

14. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

dolphindolphin: Haha it's fine, I appreciate the suggestion anyways.

I actually went with the "Glove" by RadTech. It was a lot cheaper than the Incase one plus it looked a lot more durable. Hopefully it'll work out. Thanks for all the help guys.