17 Inch Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charlaux, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Charlaux macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I have Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch base model 2012 and I really love it. However I started designing and the computer will have to change on fall 2017.

So my questions are;

1) Will there be a new 17 inch Macbook ?
    2) When a new model will be released (likely) ?

3) What upgrades do I need to do for an very efficient computer (design wise) that can last many years ?

Thanks

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

In all likelihood, Apple will never make another 17inch Macbook Pro. They discontinued it years ago, and it was their weakest selling laptop size. I would not hold my breath for a resurrection.

Any of the 15inch models will be well suited for design. If you need a larger screen, I'd invest in an external monitor to use at home.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As above there is practically no chance of ever having a 17 inch macbook again.

I would go for an iMac if I was you for design, you have a portable for class and a 27 inch 5k iMac would complement it well, just ensure you get either a 2TB fusion or an SSD option.

4. theluggage macrumors 68030

You might need to elaborate on what you mean by "design", what software you're using, what is it about your current system that can't cope with it (CPU? RAM? GPU? Storage?) and how important portability is to you.

I doubt there will be another 17" - although its vaguely possible that when Apple re-vamps their range that they'll go for a different range of screen sizes, e.g. 12/14/16. If you're tempted to look at 17" Windows PCs remember that they're often 16:9, 1920x1080 screens - the old 17" MBP was one of the few 16:10, 1920x1200 machines around.

5. JonSarge3108 macrumors regular

JonSarge3108

What are the thoughts on timing for when the MBP range will now be revamped ?

6. Tech198 macrumors G4

September ? probably for hardware updates.

My thinking .. Apple's not bought another 17" in in a while,,, I don't think one would just come flying out of thin air at all..

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most likely never again. The time for such large laptops has ended, as many companies have stopped selling them. Apple dropped the 17" model for a reason. I postulate that it was financial, and if that was the case, I don't think we'll ever see that large laptop again - at least from apple.

Apple may release the updated line this fall, but no one really knows. Many folks including me, were thinking we'd see the updated line come out at WWDC, obviously that didn't occur so who knows when.

8. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

The current thinking is that the redesign of the MBP will see a smaller bezel, for a new 14" and 16" screen size from the current 13" and 15" sizes.

It is highly likely that the new MBPr will come in September, or early October.
    It will almost certainly have 4 USB C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, with a possible Xeon processor as a build to order option, along with 32 GB option, possibly 64GB optional if a Xeon model is available.

I am optimistic that this build to order model will be available, as Intel make mobile Xeon processors suitable for laptops, and that would be ideal for programming and scientific data, which has almost as much demanding tasks as running adobe CC apps for design does.

9. ValiumEater macrumors regular

My next laptop is going to be a 17" HP Pavilion 4K notebook with OSX. I'm a big guy and had a 17" Mac laptop ever since the original PowerBook. Had to switch to the rMBP for speed reasons but I really miss my 17" display. I have a 34" 21:9 LG with Thunderbolt 2 in my home office, but when I edit video on the road for clients, those extra 2 inches make a lot of difference.

10. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Apple always discontinues stuff I like, so it's virtually impossible they'll ever bring out another 17".

I stocked up on refurbs, and they all work fine for now, but some day it's on to Windows where I can still get a decent size screen for software that takes up lots of real estate.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Good luck with getting OS X to work on that.

12. ValiumEater macrumors regular

It does. A fellow editor uses one with OSX and Adobe without a problem.

13. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Really, I'm all ears.

14. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

1) Wait it out until 2017 (fall) and see. I know I am waiting to update my 2011 17" (although I really don't need to). But see #2.

2) Probably never. Apple will probably just keeps ignoring us size-queens.

3) If it's a portable Mac you want, you'll have to buy it maxed out up front. Current Macs are basically un-upgradeable, aside from RAM on the iMac and the Mac Pro. I believe that by 2017 ALL Macs will be so.

That said, a maxed-out iMac should last you several years, especially with Apple Care. But Apple is basically out of the upgrade game. They want you to buy new machines every couple of years, so the buy-sell model may be a good fit for you.

Decisions, decisions.

15. Altis macrumors 68000

The 17" is king.

I have the 2010 with the 1920x1200 screen and it's glorious. The 2011 model is known for faulty logic boards, sadly.

The next best thing would be a 15" 16:10 MBP with an iPad Pro used as a secondary display (using Duet Display perhaps) for when extra space is needed. It isn't perfect, but it's still better than a 17" PC since they're 16:9 and the 17" models tend to be really chunky.

16. ValiumEater macrumors regular

The info is readily available at www.google.com.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2016 ---
    This has been my solution. iPad Pro connected to rMBP for scripts, email, browser, etc, with main screen for Premiere or AE.

17. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Hey, thanks for the tip!

18. strukt macrumors member

strukt

Who knows what Apple will release. What we do know is that Apple haven't updated their Macs in a while and when this happens it is usually because of a redesign. So I expect something new. Maybe a thinner bezel and 16"? Who knows...

19. ValiumEater macrumors regular

Sure thing!

20. balloz macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat and have been keeping an eye on possible Hackintoshes because Apple is basically mooning pro users at this point.

If only Windows didn't suck so bad I would have ditched Apple like a bad habit. Been using them since the MacSE but their prosumer ******** isn't getting **** done anymore.

The problem is not a single 17" laptop runs OS X well. Optimus still isn't supported. This has been a problem for years and there is no sign of any new developments.

The only other solution is to run OS X in a VM. Ugh

21. Shianh macrumors newbie

Shianh

Apple made its initial success by catering to the creative professional market, and when it discontinued the 17" MBP, it disappointed that exact market. As a UX designer, being around other designers out there, I haven't yet met a single 17" MBP owner that has stopped using it (I actually own two, just in case one dies). It's just the perfect laptop for Creative Pros. No need for a second monitor, plenty of screen real estate to see the big picture in a design, without having to squint, and that awesome matte screen (I can't stand glossy screens).

So it still baffles me to no end that Apple isn't seeing what is an obvious golden opportunity to rekindle that relationship with the market that arguably made Apple, by releasing a 17" MBP, with all the lighter and thinner components of today. I would pay the premium price for it in a heartbeat.

In terms of profitability, I doubt the creative pro market (which would be the prime target market for a 17" MBP) is not a profitable one - in fact it's a market much more likely to pay a premium for top-of-the-line equipment. The margins can be much higher. And there are more and more creatives out there creating digital content, so it's a growing market. Ask any creative professional (designer, photographer, audio/videographer) if they'd buy a 17" MBP with today's thin and light hardware, and I would be surprised if they aren't interested in it.

I'd also argue that software developers could essentially re-create a dual monitor setup with a 17" MBP with retina display. Enough to make some of us salivate...
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    Turns out someone has recently started some petitions (I signed both):

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/17-inch-macbook
    https://www.change.org/p/apple-bring-back-the-17-inch-macbook

I also sent Apple a tweet. I think in order to get enough attention, there needs to be enough people behind it... so share!

22. theluggage macrumors 68030

The problem is that Apple has enjoyed windfall profits with the iPhone and they're now looking for the next opportunity for explosive growth. That isn't likely to come from the Mac business.

Its a question of distorted perspective: if a 17" MacBook took 5% of the Mac business it would, in isolation be a pretty successful product - not to mention the strategic benefit of keeping Macs in the hands of the sort of power users that influence others' decisions and help bring credibility to the platform. When the whole Mac range is only 10% of revenues, suddenly the 17" MBP is just a rounding error, and not deserving of investment.

The new 2016 MBPs are definitely the nicest looking "ultrabooks" in the shop, but if you need a desktop replacement laptop, well, there are plenty of large-screen gaming and portable workstation choices in the PC world (not so much with 16:10 screens, though).

I think I could live with a 15" rMBP in "scaled" mode "on the road" in true laptop mode, but the true loss comes when you stick one on an elevator stand next to an external display - with a 17" that gives you a true dual-display setup.

Problem with my 17" rMBP is (a) its on its second logic board - the first one lasted 4 years & was replaced for free, so that's not too bad, but if it goes again its probably curtains. (b) My ExpressCard USB3 adapter and the ScreenRecycler software I use to get 3 screens (Code, Product, Documentation - perfect!) won't work past OS X 10.9. I'm now regretting not getting a TB dock & second TB device for USB3 and 3 screens a couple of years ago.

If I stay with Mac I think I'll be looking at a desktop (when the new ones arrive & if they're any good) + a separate, ultraportable laptop.

23. Fishrrman macrumors G3

As I mentioned once before, waiting for a new 17" MacBook Pro, is like waiting for… Godot!

24. Altis macrumors 68000

It's really too bad.

Apple has more than enough money to slap together a MBP in 17". Look at how many smaller companies come up with all kinds of interesting and unique products, like the MSI Titan with a Cherry MX mechanical keyboard, or the Razer Blade Pro 17" ultrabook gaming laptop.

Yet Apple, despite being among the richest companies in the world, can't be bothered to just make one model size larger on their laptops. It'd be very useful for people who need some screen real estate on the go, using it as a mobile workstation.

I often think of replacing my 2010 17" but the 15" feels too small. If I'm going to pay >$3000 for a new laptop, it can't compromise on something so major as screen real estate.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not because of lack of resources, it's because of lack of customers. They'd not make enough money on the laptop to justify it.