17 inch Macenstein???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBPro17, Jan 28, 2017.

1. MBPro17 macrumors newbie

Don't know if this has been discussed before.

Is it possible to take the guts of a new 2016 machine and pack them into a late 2011 17 inch body and top case, and either utilize the 2011 17" display, or insert some newer 17" display inside the shell?

The old saying is anything is possible if you want to spend the money.

For those of us who love the pure screen space of the 17 can this realistically be done?

I'm not talking about changing ports or maximum RAM, just finding a way to keep the larger screen.

Your thoughts please?

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

You would have better luck making a hackintosh from a 17" laptop

3. leman macrumors 604

I am fairly sure its possible, if you are willing to pay for it.

4. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

I guess anything is, if you're willing to pay. lol Get Jony to make you a custom build!

5. Altis macrumors 68020

It would likely be quite difficult at the battery shape has changed a lot. Also the fans/heat sinks/ventilation needs a certain placement.

The ports wouldn't line up at all with the body as they'd be recessed (they're mounted to the logic board).

I, too, absolutely love the 17" form factor, especially at 16:10. It'd be a cool project to undergo.

I'm seeing how far I can go with my 2010 17". It's only a dual-core i5 with 8GB of RAM, though... I 'd have preferred the 2011 with quad i7 and 16GB, but they're so prone to logic board failures that it's a risky buy.

The good thing is that Windows 7/10 and Linux run beautifully on it still, and El Capitan runs okay enough. Once El Cap isn't supported (probably 2ish years from now), I'll just go Windows + Linux and see how long I can go from there.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm