17 inch MBP backpack?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jt2ga65, Nov 11, 2007.

1. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

I searched the forums, but didn't find any discussion about laptop backpacks.

I have a new 17 inch MBP, and have been searching for a decent laptop bag. Has anyone tried the Mobile Edge SecurePack? It seems to be a decent bag that MAY fit the larger MBP, and also seems to be geared for motorcyclists, which is a plus, as many bags are a pain when worn over a motorcycle jacket.

The Swissgear bags also seem pretty decent, but they are a lot bigger, and that could throw the center of gravity off when riding tee bike.

Anyone have any experience?

-jt2

2. tcevans macrumors newbie

I bought this bag a while back, and it has done very well for me. There are a lot of pockets for everything, and the compartment you put the laptop in is secure and covered in a very soft material.

I've been very pleased with it.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

4. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I have a Boblbee Megalopolis backpack. Very good ergonomically. Looks "special", prepare for a few comments and questions from strangers. I think it looks cool.

15" MBP fits perfectly. Before the MBP I had a 17" Powerbook, which did fit, but was very tight. Not completely sure about the dimensions for 17" MBP vs 17" Powerbook.

I use a Tucano sleeve, and then put the laptop in the sleeve in the backpack.

5. bubblegum80 macrumors member

You really should keep "Boblbee" a secret for the "cool maverick" people.

Many owners hunted this bag down for a long time. Giving information away for nothing is .... inane!

If you want it, earn it. :cool:

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

The style of OGIO I have is no longer available, but the Politan is VERY similar.

http://www.ogio.com/products.php?category=41

I have kept my 17" MBP in it for a year and a half without any problems. I regularly carry my MBP, magsafe with grounded cord, nulooq navigator, wireless mighty mouse, portable 100GB HD, notebook, few folders, and a book or two with room left over. It's not light with that much, but there is the room for it. In fact I am thinking about getting a new apple wireless bluetooth keyboard to carry around in it.

7. Too Many Toys macrumors member

I use the Incase Nylon Sling Pack for my 17" MBP & love it.

Vertical design means it's narrow & carries like a smaller bag. Also has some nylon mesh pockets to hold phones, cameras, power adapters, etc. The strap has a fur-lined pocket that's just the right size for a iPhone/Touch.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

First time I saw that, I thought it was for those shorted and wizened backpacker types. Comfy to wear for sure, not something I'd be seen with though.

9. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Hehe, I actually considered that before posting. Do I want people just looking for "a backpack" to get these. :p

Do you have a Magalopolis? What kind of exterior? I have a white one. I think I'll get a dark metallic one when my current bag needs to be replaced, but am wondering how durable the metallic paint is.

10. bubblegum80 macrumors member

I have a Japanese model megalopolis, matte silver. Not sure I could handle the metallic paint, not into shiny things. :)

Yeah, its one of those things you want to tell people about, but can't. :cool:

11. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

The North Face Surge Computer Pack...

My brother has this bag and really likes it! It has this floating internal elastic strap system to support the laptop so it's not getting slammed if you drop the pack on the ground! It's kept his laptop in mint condition.

http://www.rei.com/product/738450

Another option is the Osprey Transit, I picked that up and it's the best bag I've owned... It's a messenger bag with the waist straps for riding. I've gotten compliments on it

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...6&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Coachingguy