17 Inch MBP vs. 15 inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TeddyLeroux, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TeddyLeroux macrumors member

Im thinking about getting a macbook for college and was pondering between the 15 inch and the 17 inch... i was thinking of the 3.06 or 2.8 ghZ models for the 15 and the 2.8 ghz for the 17... i like the 17 because it has a very high resolution screen... i like the 15 inch because it is more portable and still has high performance and a decent size screen... so thats what i think... i just wanted some other opinions... i wont be getting my macbook until the back to school promo:apple:

2. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Depends which is more important to you. Portability or screen real-estate?

If you will travel a lot w yr MBP then get the 15"

If you use mostly around the house, and occasionally take it places then the 17" will suit better

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd wait as the specs are going to change. I use the 17-inch and find that is plenty portable, I tend to be in the minority. Wait until you know where you are going, because that can change things. For example, I have to walk no more then 5 minutes to class, if I went to a larger school and had to walk 30, my opinions might change. I've also had a 17" Apple notebook for over five years.

This topic gets debated constantly.

4. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

I know that I am going to a tech school/two year college so i wouldnt have to carry it that far... but i would mainly use it for browsing the net,checking email, facebook,twitter,video editting, podcasting... thats prolly it.... when does the back to school promo usually start and what kind of spec bumbs will we see??

5. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

No one is sure about the speed bump. But the new processors are rumored to be coming in the first part of 2010. If they are released, the machines will be completely redesigned on the inside. So if you can wait, do so.

Since your use of the machine is really general use, you may want to consider the 15, as the 17 draws more attention, some times the wrong kind. I worked at a University for 10 years, and laptop theft is one of the biggest problems on any campus of any size and kind.

6. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy with my 17", but it is a bit more to lug around. I loved my 15" laptops, but I don't think I'll ever go back after the screen on this one :p

You really need to try out both and decide.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My $.02 is that the size of the 17" makes it a but ungainly to wield around. If you're going to school, you'll need to consider your other books and supplies.

Personally, I'd opt for the 15" (which I have ;) ) its a fabulous machine, great size, and performance. Plus its cheaper then the 17"

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

For me, the 17 inch was the way to go. A point that is often lost in the debate is screen resolution (not just screen size).

The 15 inch MBP has a 1440 X 900 screen for a total of ~1.3 megapixels. The 17 is 1920 X 1200, for a total of ~2.1 megapixels. Do the math and you can fit ~40% more on the 17 inch screen. Also, many programs are hard wired for its elements to be a certain amount of pixels...too few makes the workspace looks cluttered.

If Apple had a higher resolution screen on the 15 inch, I might have gone with that. However, the 1440 X 900 is a JOKE.

One more thing, what size are you? I'm about 6-3, so carrying around a 17 inch to me is not a big deal. However, when someone in my lab who is 5-2 picks it up, it looks like a shield from 300. So, personal size is also a factor in my opinion.

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

15 is as big as I would have wanted to go for something I might move. I'd only get a 17 if it sat on a desk as desktop replacement and didn't move.

I spent a lot of time trying to decide between 13 and 15 and while the 17 looked nice it was never really on deck. but with all 3 of them there it showed me the 15 is a pretty good compromise. I just couldnt live with the 13" screen as much as I use it and I couldn't live with the 17"s size and weight.

10. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I'm a college student with 17" inch and I love it.

People really overplay the "size" of this boy, it's not that much bigger than the 15".

I say if you have the cash, there's no reason to not go 17 unless you are running a obstacle course every day.

11. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

15" is plenty big. However, if you have the $$ why not go for the 17".

12. Meever macrumors 6502a

if you're considering 17MBP

you might also want to consider the imac.

I mean if that's if you don't need to be moving about constantly of course.

13. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about not carry it around too often but i still wanted to have the option to have a portable computer... also my brother has a 17 inch hp computer...which is heavier than the macbook pro... and it is plenty portable and it has a great hd screen... does anybody know when the back to school promo starts... I want it to be in March or April:apple:

14. autumn macrumors member

Apple's back to school promo usually starts late summer to early fall. I don't think they ever offered one during Spring.

15. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Typically over the summer.