17 inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomwvr, Mar 4, 2014.

1. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

2. simon48, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It's really over priced. The new base 13" is cheaper and faster.

3. tomwvr thread starter macrumors regular

tomwvr

My son is old school wants an internal Drive - Ive told him an external will work fine - but you know how kids are *(he is in his 20's)

What would you say a good price on that computer would be - I looked at the MAC specs web site and it says 1500....

Tom

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

As in he wants a big internal drive to hold everything? How much space does he need?

I'm not the best at getting the price down perfectly, but it's $100 more then the new one and it's slower. The HD in the 17" is slow.

What are all his needs? I don't really know what he's valuing in the 17". A new one might not be the best way to go, but I'm sure you could find a better fit then the 17".

5. rex450se macrumors regular

I think that's a fair price for that. I don't know what base 15" the poster above is looking at but the base 15" that i know about is $1999. That's the last of the 17"s and it is upgradeable quite a bit. Use it as is and when the time comes put and SSD and 16 GB of ram in it and it will be a new machine. No reason this won't last him for awhile. This is all without knowing what he needs it for. But that is a great machine and at a good price. And MicroCenter is a decent place to buy from.

Victor

6. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

7. accountforit macrumors 6502a

That price isn't bad if he absolutely wants a 17". If he wanted something smaller then I would suggest looking at newer models. Otherwise, not a bad deal and user upgradeable.

8. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Agree good price for a good machine.

The 13inch MBPs, even the latest, are only dual core not quad core so much slower than this machine. They are overpriced compared to this machine unless small is important.

Be aware that the optical bay of 2011 machines does not reliably support 6G HDD or SSD devices even though it is spec'd as 6G, which limits upgradeability options, if replacing the optical drive was part of your sons upgradability agenda.

I have three 17 inch MBPs, one has the original optical drive in the optical drive, another has 1 1Tb 7200rpm HDD in the optical with 960 SSD in the main bay, and the third has a 1.5Tb HDD in the optical with 480 SSD in the main. Both HDDS in the optical are HGST which have been converted form 6G to 3G.....so there is a lot of upgradability but there are some poo-traps. Well worth upgrading the RAM and the main HDD to an SSD quickly IMHO.

Check he is happy with glossy screen.

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

The new dual cores will be faster for most things.

10. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Overpriced? I just sold one of these, used, on eBay for almost $1500 with somewhat better specs, but the advertised machine is no slouch.

The OP's ad is showing a refurb unit from Apple with 1 year warranty. At $1299 it's a steal -- if you want a 17", this is below the going rate.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If he's dead set against getting anything besides a 17" mac, that's a hellova deal.

Now the 15" rMBP's are lighter, faster, and (ultimately) cheaper. But they're not upgradable, and they're not 17".

12. thagomizer macrumors 6502

That's actually a very interesting ad at MicroCenter. If you search a bit further, you'll see that they have exactly two 17" configurations "in stock", for $1299 and $1379. They both have 4GB RAM, 5400 RPM 750GB disk, and 2.2GHz processor. The only advertised difference is that the more expensive model has the matte screen.

Here's the interesting part. The matte 17" model was only offered as a factory (non-BTO) model with a 2.3GHz CPU, not a 2.2GHz. Furthermore, these models are the "early 2011". Apple also had "late 2011" models which have faster 2.3/2.5GHz CPUs and slightly faster GPUs, but are otherwise identical.

If MicroCenter were truly unloading stock of all their unsold Apple-refurb 17" models, I would think that they would run the gamut of all available RAM, HD size, CPU speed, etc. And in any case, why is MicroCenter selling Apple refurb units at all?

And if you look at what's in stock at each store, you'll see that there are dozens of these things across the country, perhaps over a hundred total.
    And yet they are only in two configurations?

*** My guess is that Apple itself is dumping these out through MicroCenter. ***

And it's a fair wager that many of the units are actually better (in RAM, CPU, etc) than what's advertised. They show two configurations (matte and glossy) because that's something that buyers are picky about. But nobody's going to complain if they ordered a 2.2GHz CPU (early 2011 low-end) and got a 2.5GHz CPU instead (late 2011 high-end). This is called the Apple "refurb lottery".

So who's going to play? :)

13. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Not sure why you say this. The Geekbench ratings for all 2011 quad core i7 MBPs is much higher than the dual core 2013 13 inch rMBP from here.

----------

Personally I would pay $80 more for a matte screen.

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I sold my maxed out 17" about a year and a half ago...This was the top spec model...had been upgraded by me to 16GB Ram, and I included a Sonnet 21 in 1 card reader, a Speck all round shell, all original packaging and disks.

Sale price?

£950.00

Paying more is truly crazy, as pointed out, the base 13" retina can be had cheaper than the asking price of what is essentially an out of date machine...I loved my 17" but carrying it around with the PSU, Mouse etc etc was just too much. I'd get your son to re-think if you can.

15. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

To state the obvious, if portability is an issue the 13 inch rMBP will win every time, but in nearly every other respect the 17 inch MBP is better. I take my 17 inch MBP with me everywhere......in the car.....but if I had to carry it in a backpack I would certainly have a 13 inch.

The OP's $1300 is less than your £950, so he wouldn't be paying more. (but I would have paid more than £950 for yours, even today). The price of 17 inch MBPs is holding up well because of supply and demand. People who have them are not selling and more people are looking for them for the reasons being mentioned in this thread.

The one aspect I concede which is out of date is that it doesn't have USB3. However there are now at last a few external thunderbolt enclosures, and you can use a Caldigit or similar to convert TB to USB3 when at base, but I would like to have native USB3.

I don't like using externals so have configured two of my MBPs with 2Tb Fusion Drives....you can't do that with an rMBP. If you have much data you are more likely to be carrying an external around with an rMBP.

16. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Why do people keep comparing it to the current 13" model? Clearly, he doesn't want a small 13" screen. People have different needs and this machine is still more than capable.

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It is...I was just pointing out that fact...cheaper secondhand 17"'s in good condition are available.

18. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

True but not Apple refurbished with guarantee.

19. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This has a quad core. Even single core it is as fast as the base 13'' according to geekbench, for multi-core applications it will run circles around the 13''.

And don't forget those 17'' screens are beautiful! If this is mostly for use at home it is an amazing machine. Son might eventually add a SSD and more ram, and it will fly.

Only concern would be the GPU, although even that should still be faster than the 13'' Iris GPU. Some failures are being reported for the 6750M so get AppleCare.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a little pricey but if your son really wants the larger laptop then it will be fine for most tasks.

He may be old school, but he's a dying breed as the optical drive is going the way of the dodo and for Apple it seems even traditional storage media, i.e, industry standard drives/SSD.

21. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

I wish I could get a 17 inch Retina Quad Core i7 with 32GB of Ram...

22. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I agree Apple should really bring back the 17 inch MBP and with Retina this time around.

23. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

And when I dream, I want a Ferrari.

24. schizbomb macrumors 6502

When I dream, I actually drive a Ferrari.

25. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

Putting aside all the 17" nostalgia here, let me add my two cents:

The only reason you should buy this is if you want it for the 17'' screen

That's it. By any other metric this is a bad deal. Sure, maybe that's fair market value, but that's only because there are apparently quite a few people out there willing to pay $1200+ for a 3 year old computer.

If you don't need the 17" screen size, you can save money and get a better computer.