17 inch non-unibody macbook pro won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skengman, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Skengman macrumors member

Skengman

I have a 17 inch non-unibody macbook pro (I think it's 2007 or 2008 - model number is A1229) and it won't charge.

It hasn't been used for a week or so, and I picked it up tonight to see that the battery had run out. I've put it on charge, but instead of the led on the magsafe going orange, it stayed green.

I've tried taking the battery out and putting it back in, tried different plug sockets for the charger, tried resetting the SMC and PRAM (which I can't really do properly as it won't turn on at all) all to no avail, I've read through every relevant thread I can find on here, appleinsider, various other mac sites which I don't normally frequent, and also the apple discussion forums and support documents.
    I've tried everything suggested (SMC & PRAM resets, removing the battery while the magsafe is plugged in etc etc....) and I'm completely out of ideas.

A bit of background on the laptop, it was bought brand new by my girlfriends dad, and used by him for work until summer last year, when the i7 unibody was released.
    It has been treated well but used quite a lot, and recently the graphics card died and was replaced for free by apple.
    It has a new battery in it (<3 months old) and both the battery, charger and all other parts are straight from apple.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If the battery is that new, bring it (and the laptop) to an Apple Store and have them look at it. Perhaps the battery was bad and they'll get you a replacement.

3. Skengman thread starter macrumors member

Skengman

I'm thinking that could be the case, because every time it runs completely out of charge, this happens. Normally I take the battery out, put it back in and the light goes orange and it charges.

My girlfriend and I are probably part of the problem because I have an iMac which we use for the majority of the time, it's only when we both want to use the computer at the same time that we use the laptop, which means it regularly runs right out of charge.

I was just wondering if there were any other little tricks I could try before I take it in to an apple store?

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

5. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I would just take it in. Sounds like you've exhausted your moves and nothing is working. Especially since it's had the logic board replaced already.

6. Skengman thread starter macrumors member

Skengman

I just left it for a while and now it's working, very weird.
    I think I'll book it in anyway, to avoid it happening again.

Thanks for the replies, I'll update with the any action taken at the apple store in case anyone else stumbles on this thread with the same problem.