17 inch unibody macbook pro external display issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by josephbusti, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josephbusti macrumors newbie

I am setting up a new 17 inch macbook pro for a friend. He uses a 24 inch LCD external monitor so we purchased the mini display port to dvi adapter (as opposed to the mini display port to dual link dvi adapter for 30 inch monitors). However, I am at home setting up his computer using my external monitor which is the 30 inch dell monitor. For some reason, the maximum resolution I can get is 1280x800 on the external 30 inch monitor. I figured I should at least be able to get 1920x1200 resolution, right?? Does anyone know what may be going on here. I know you're able to switch between video cards on the unibody macbook pros, how do I do that as well? Thanks for any help!

2. flanamac macrumors 6502

Did you scour the Apple website support area? Did you call Apple support? If this equipment is new, then shouldn't he have 90 days, at least without Apple care, of equipment support via telephone? Seems like a better solution since there shouldn't be any guess work with setting up this arrangement which obviously was contemplated by Apple putting in the miniport in the first place.

Just a thought.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Your limited to the max resolution of the Dell screen, however when you plug the screen in, you'll see a screen icon appear in the top right of your Mac screen, click on it and you'll see a list of resolutions you can choose from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.