17-inch Unibody MacBook Pro Keyboard Backlighting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottCFrancis, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ScottCFrancis macrumors newbie

I received my 17-inch MBP about two weeks ago.

It rocks, but I've noticed the keyboard backlighting is a bit uneven.

The 5 key is much brighter than the other keys. Everything else is pretty uniform, though the left side is slightly brighter overall.

My Rev A MacBook Air's keyboard is lit more evenly.

Has anyone else seen this?

Scott

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

A few people have been having this problem, if you can even call it that. From what I'm told, there is just a light below the keyboard that emits when it is needed but it's not really designed to fully light up each key clearly (like it does for a cell phone for example). The key that's uneven, is it clear or do you have a hard time seeing it?

I guess if you're annoyed and within the 14 days, you can go for an exchange.

3. ScottCFrancis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response.

I agree it's borderline a problem. It's a solitary rough edge on an otherwise pristine piece of engineering.

There's no problem seeing the key--the problem is it stands out among the others.

Where have you heard or seen others talking about this?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I work for AppleCare and it comes up at the end as a question, ultimately many agree that it's not that big of a deal, again, unless it's at the point where you can't even see the backlight for that key, I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

5. ScottCFrancis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Last questions, promise: would you consider it to be within spec, or is my experience rare? Has anyone requested a replacement based on this issue?

6. mforce300 macrumors newbie

Hey this is pretty normal on the 17" unibody. I have seen about 6 of them come through our store and the 5 key is always lit up more. I'm thinking it has to do with the 5 and the % being so close together in the center of the key. Mine is like this....

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Mine doesn't have this issue, but Apple will probably replace the machine for you if its not 14 days old. If its over 14 days old, forget about it and get on with more important things.

8. Divesh Balani macrumors newbie

dude u wont delive i am told the same thing but now my macbook pro is in the i studio they told me we will have a look at it and let u know what is the problem they even told me to check the whole system so if there is a problem they can fix it 4 my. but is it that dangerous for that thing to be there or it does not make a difference or is it ok does not matter unless it working fine and normal

waiting for your reply
    thnx a lot in advance
    Divesh

9. Divesh Balani macrumors newbie

i was going to ask for a new machine as i got it like that frm them but those "*******S" said we wont give u the new machine we will see if we cannot ifx it they will return my money back and the money is not a small amount 150,000 bath i really hope they dont fix it and return my money back as they like to play fool with their costumers

10. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

My new macbook 17 has this backlight problem. My previous two did not have it and I'm contemplating swaping it with Apple later today as it is actually bugging me for some shallow reason. My only concern is that the new one will have the same thing. :)

11. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

one key is brighter than the rest???
    bit picky are we, whos to say the replacement wont have the same 'issue'?

12. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Haha, I understand completely what you're saying and am having the same conversation with myself.

However, the 5 key is not just slightly brighter, it's at least twice as bright as the rest, maybe more. Had I not been accustomed to a properly illuminated keyboard it might not bother me as much; I'd probably have thought it's standard. Unfortunately though it's annoying me considerably, as ridiculous as that sounds. Imagine if you bought a 2.5k laptop and noticed a bright flaw everytime you used it that didn't exist on your previous model.

Any others notice this issue with their MBP's? Did you think it was standard issue? Did you know it was a flaw and just not care?

This MBP also has an uneven screen backlight, but my previous model did as well so It doesn't bother me as much. Funny how that works eh?

13. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

i5 17" MBP same issue here.
    Maybe it's an illusion but the right side of the keypad appears maybe half brightness of the left and the '5' key is light a lighthouse in the middle.
    trying apple now for a remedy

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I really tried, but I simply don't see that on my machine.

15. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

on a new MBP now.
    much better now with an even backlighting.

16. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Very interesting as my 5 key is much brighter than the other ones as well.

17. LisaMaree, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

LisaMaree macrumors member

You traded your MBP for a brand new one because of this issue? Did they give you a hard time or no? Were you within 14 days or no?

Did you take it in to Apple Store?

18. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

oh great... i didn't notice it untill i saw it now :rolleyes: mean... now thats going to bother me...

19. LisaMaree macrumors member

Definitely still an issue. Anyone else have it? And have you done anything about it? Namely taken it to a store to ask?

20. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Mine does. I don't know if its worth it or not to take it in for that. Mine is also having sporadic graphic problems though.. So i will be. I have a bunch of letters that are darker then the rest.

21. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Hrmm, I have a 15" but all my keys seem to be evenly lit. It'd surely bug me if certain areas were brighter than others, this is a $1800+ laptop, it shouldn't have that problem.

22. LisaMaree, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  23. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Just bought myself a 2000+€ 2.3GHz and have the same identical issue - 5 key more bright.

I will indeed bring it in and ask for repair/replacement, I am of the (questionable) opinion that such an item has to be perfect.

24. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i noticed this on my last keyboard - but very quickly moved to wireless keyboard/trackpad so all was forgotten very quickly

25. rsciangula macrumors newbie

Same

I have a 2011 Macbook pro 17inch

this is a replacement from my other macbook pro that I returned due to a blown speaker out of the box. I don't feel like going back and exchanging another macbook for this issue but it's kinda annoying. Yeah the 5% key is very bright compared to all the other keys.