17 Inch vs 15 inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by topscorer17, Sep 25, 2011.

1. topscorer17 macrumors member

Hi everyone, i plan on buying a mac-book Pro for the first time as soon as the next refresh comes out. I was always so set on the 15 inch version which i would spend 100$ to upgrade to hi-res glossy. I recently noticed that the 17 inch already includes the hi-res glossy display. So a 15 inch upgraded to Hi-res display comes out to $2,161.00 where as the standard 17 inch model is $2,299.00. There is only a 138$ difference.

So assuming the price point stays close to the same for the next refresh, is it worth it to pick up the 17 inch? or would the 138$ less, and lighter 15 inch model be a better pick?

I would use my mac-book pro mainly for taking notes in school, some casual gaming, and watching videos online.

Thanks for any replies in advance! :)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I imagine you would probably have issues with the 17 if you wanted to take it to school and use it. The desks at my school are microscopic and finding a backpack that fits a 17" computer is harder than you would think.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I _really_ like my 17" MBP. No other company makes a 17" that is so thin, light, and has such a great display. Not to mention the terrific large multifunction touch pad and comfortable keyboard. Only 1lb more than the 15" I've carried mine around a lot. While I also have a 15" nothings as nice as the spacious 17" display. It's a great laptop.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Do you seriously expect to take a 15+ inch laptop into a classroom to type notes? 13 inches is large enough; anything over that approaches that (is he really bringing that in) area.

I'd say 15 is the max and you'll still draw a lot more attention than you'll want.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

carrying a 17 inches MBP to the class is a BIG joke....13 or 15 inches is fine for class and you are not doing heavy graphic work.

6. topscorer17 thread starter macrumors member

Yes i understand that the 17 inch is a little on the large side for school, but i will also be using it at home on my desk quite often.

Thanks for the advice though. Your right, a 15 inch is more sufficient for school, but for home the 17 inch may be better.

Also the 13 inch is not an option for me. IMO the resolution and RadeonHD 3000 are a joke.

Looks like i'll have alot of time to think about it as well if Apple plans on waiting for Ivy Bridge.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For your scenario, I would get the 15" and take the money saved and buy a large external monitor for home. Best of both worlds.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

So get the 15 inch and an external monitor?

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ur buying a laptop for portability. personally buying a 17inch notebook defeats that purpose. with the money spent on a 17inch, u my as well buy a 27inch imac XD

honestly there are so many threads on this, look it up

10. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Definitely the best advice here. 17" is far too big for taking notes in class, but an external monitor gives you much more flexibility.

11. topscorer17 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for all the replies, i'm pretty much sold on a hi-res 15 inch now. I don't think that 138$ is going to be a huge help towards a 900$ monitor. maybe ill just save it towards an SSD or some RAM. Thanks For the replies.:D

12. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

You don't really need to spend $900 on a monitor to be honest, unless you need perfect colors etc. A nice 21" monitor with 1080p can easily be found for $150 or so.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Far too big? Please. It's 2 or so additional inches around the edges, and one pound thinner. Do you even have a 17"? It's very portable unless for some reason you need to compute on a unicycle or in a train.

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i take notes on a 17" in class, but I do get some weird looks. Not too many, though, because others are taking notes on 17" windows computers that are 3inches thick and both wider and deeper than the mbp.

15. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I don't have a 17" because of the size of desks at my university. I'm not sure if you're in college or not, but I can barely fit a notebook (you know, pen and paper) on them. I would not feel comfortable having my $2,000 laptop teetering on a crappy desk.

16. Goten macrumors newbie

I say go for the 17". The difference in weight between the 15 and 17 isn't very noticeable and the screen estate you get from the 17" is very very nice. After using it for a week you don't even notice the size diff from a 15.

17. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Depending on whether you have large lecture halls or classrooms like this, it's a good point. Personally I don't need my computer at all, due to me being a Microbio major, but sometimes I do see a few laptops being used during lectures. Anything larger than a 13 inch is bothersome; not so much of the screen size distracting others, but the fact that f you have a desk, it will take the whole desk.

If you're at a long table, where the chairs are attached or whatever, you'll either take up somebody else's space or not have room to write.

I mean, it's your call, but I'd steer toward advice from people who are actually IN college and not just "assuming".

15 is the biggest I would take into a classroom; hell, 13 seems like the max personally. I think 11 would be the sweet spot and 13 the max, but 15 is doable.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Currently in school. And my 17" MBP w/ hardshell cover fits very nicely in my targus 15" bag, with pen, paper, books and even a water bottle on the side. Does it fit comfortably on those old school 1907 desks where everyone was alot skinnier? No, but neither does the 15 inch.

I just have a problem with people saying the 17" is far too big yet turning around and saying that the 15" is absolutely perfect.

19. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Wait. You fit all that... on a desk? I don't mean in a dorm room desk, I mean in a class I'm taking notes sort of desk...

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Huh? Usually my computer is the only thing out on the desk. There have been very few occasions where i've needed the book during class since profs expect you to read before or after lecture. Most are some derivative of the attached desk.

(image courtesy of grizzlybearmodern.com)

Attached Files:

21. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

15" seems like a perfect size for a laptop IMO. 1lb heavier than the 15"?

22. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Well..the thing is that many PC 15" laptops weigh as much at the 17" mbp. While it is doable, I personally had a 15" mbp and an external monitor in college, and it worked well.

23. B.LI macrumors regular

Well to be honest, if you are just going to use the portable laptop for taking notes in school and internet surfing, you should just go for the Macbook Air :roll eyes:

A MBP 17" may not be appropriate as its too large for a school laptop plus you are not doing any heavy graphical work which requires demanding programs such as Photoshop, etc.

24. topscorer17 thread starter macrumors member

I will not only be surfing the web and taking notes. I will be gaming on it quite often as well.

25. randomrazr macrumors 65816

just started uni man, quick question

ive been experimenting with pritning out slides and writing on them, / typing up all notes,/ or writing all notes. cant figure out what to stick with

did u have a preference?

----------

than get the 15inch for power and portability