17"/LED Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IrstblBlis, May 2, 2009.

1. IrstblBlis macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I think I'm finally ready to purchase a Macbook Pro. I'll most likely be going with a refurbished model, but have a few questions.

When was the LED screen on the 17". Was it only on the new unibody model? For those who have used both, is LED really that much better?

I'm also trying to decide between a 15" and a 17". The following models are both available refurbs right now. There's definite pros and cons to each, and I'm just trying to weigh my options and get some friendly advice from fellow macbook users. WWYD?

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    17-inch high-resolution widescreen display
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive; 7200 rpm
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera
    $1899

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard
    $1999

2. assassinm4 macrumors member

classic mbp with 8600 on are all LED backlit display

3. assassinm4 macrumors member

depends on what you use it for. you wouldnt wanna carry 6.8lbs around if u are a college student. 15" is pretty much on the edge between stationary and mobile. go for 17" if u need pretty screen for work, otherwise 15" would be fine.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No only the 17" WUXGA display introduced in February 2008 was LED backlight; the stand WSXGA+ used in the February 2008 model and prior were all CCFL backlit.

5. IrstblBlis thread starter macrumors newbie

So the 17" refurb is an LED screen? I was hoping so, but would think they'd specify that if it was the case. Is there an easy way to determine the exact model/revision that a refurb is?

I'll be using it for Final Cut, and it will be transported regularly. However, I'm used to hauling around my heavy HP laptop along with a heavy lacie HD, so I'm not too concerned about the weight.

17" would be very nice, but I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to go w/ an older model, or get the new unibody 15"...

In the end, I know it's user preference. There's just too much to consider! Display, graphics cards, memory, trackpad, HD size/speed, etc. So hard to make a decision!!

6. assassinm4 macrumors member

sorry for the mistake. 2.6 ghz CPU + 8600/512mb Vram means that is a 08 Penryn model. it's a LED backlit screen.

7. assassinm4 macrumors member

before i decided to go for the classic mbp instead of the unibody, one of the consideration was the performance. but after a few researches, results are telling me that 9600M is not significantly better than 8600M. maybe by a few percent, but never seen any data showing >10% improvement.
    same 45nm penryn processor.. so it's all up to the clocking rate. again. not more than 10%.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I'll have to say that for FC you might want to go with the 17" for a bit more space. I was looking at the 17" today and that would be the smallest I would want to use for what I do having a couple of things open and so on. Have you been able to sit down and play around with a 17" and then a 15" MBP before?
    Also keep in mind what the refurbs offer as far as max RAM goes that even if Apple doesn't officially support it it's nice to have extra.

9. Poirot818 macrumors regular

I wouldn't even bother getting a refurbished MBP at all since you'd have to pay tax. Get a new MBP off ebay using cashback and ebates.

New 15.4" 2.53GHZ unibody MBP: $1824.5 (no tax)

New 17" 2.66GHZ unibody MBP: $2302.59 (no tax)

compared to:

Refurbished 15.4" MacBook Pro unibody 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: $1999 ($2158.92 after 8% tax)

Refurbished 17" MacBook Pro (not unibody) 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: $1899 ($2050.92 after 8% tax)

10. IrstblBlis thread starter macrumors newbie

I have seen both 15" and 17", and know that I would prefer 17". However, what I'm unsure of is whether or not to go for the new unibody, in which case I would have to go 15", as they do not have 17" refurbs available. I have not used the older model to compare to the new unibody to decide which I prefer.

My other question about buying refurb: Do you have to purchase Apple Care up front, or can it be purchased anytime within the first year?

11. IrstblBlis thread starter macrumors newbie

I've browsed both ebay and live.com and can't seem to find any information about the cashback offer or ebates.

I'd be a bit hesitant about buying from ebay. Does anyone have any personal experience with purchasing a NEW macbook pro off ebay and getting the cashback?

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Anytime within the first year just like a new Mac.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah, i had a 17" pc, and it was too heafty to haul to class, it sucked. And the 17" widescreens are huge