17" LED ??? - worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaddieBrad, Jul 19, 2007.

  1. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

    MaddieBrad

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2007
    Location:
    New York City
    #1
    I have an interesting situation. I have recently been very lucky as to receive a 17" MacBook Pro, lets just say, as a gift. (Thanks Steve) Unfortunately I was not able to select the kind of screen on it so it has the lower resolution screen. I am thinking of selling it on and buying one with the higher res screen, but i am wondering if it is worth waiting to see if they come out with a LED version on the 17". I know that this has been posted about already before, but I thought I would just repost, rather than bump. WHEN????????????


    If the LED will not come out for a while, and I just decide to get the high res ccfl screen, do you think it woulf cost me much to get the screen swapped out for a high res one? Would Apple do it for me you think??

    B
     
  2. James Cole macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Location:
    San Antonio, Texas
    #2
    I just bought one too, and tought the high res screen was a bit too uncomfortable because everything was so small.
     
  3. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    mine is absolutely fine, looking back at my gfs powerbook, everything is huge, im suprised you can get any more than one window on screen
     
  4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

    EvryDayImShufln

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #4
    Since Leopard is resolution independent, the high res screens will see a huge advantage when running Leopard. But if you're going to lose alot of money selling the computer to later upgrade, I'd say don't bother, it's not worth hundreds of dollars.
     
  5. Smurfed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #5
    Buy it while its on CCFL backlighting, When the 17"s get LED they might suffer from the same yellow tinting issue the 15.4"s are going through now.
     
  6. thagomizer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    LED 17" screens are not in production.

    Enjoy your machine. LED backlight, minor increase in screen res, these are all minor issues. Apple got so many other things right... stock RAM, the CPU and graphics chip are exceptional. (You will not find a single PC laptop under 6 lbs that has the Nvidia 8600M GT).

    1680x1050 is very sharp, and the existing CCFL lamp is much, much nicer than the early MacBook Pros (trust me, I have a Core Duo). Remember that the 17" screens were 1440 x 900 not too long ago. If you can be productive with it, just keep it, it'll save you at least $100 and the hassle of selling it.
     
  7. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

    MaddieBrad

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2007
    Location:
    New York City
    #7
    See... the thing is... I was gonna buy a 17" MacBook Pro to upgrade from my 17" PowerBook. But due to some serious problems I had with my PowerBook I was fourtunate to luck into my MBP. I didn't have to pay for it, but it is not the specs I wanted is the point. I even offered to pay the extra money for the high res screen, but they couldn't do it. I have the Macbook still sitting in the box unopened. You figure if I take it to an Apple store they will swap it and let me pay the diffrence?

    And you guys really think that Apple would be stupid enough to let the 17"ers have the same yellow tint problem that the 15"s have with all the bad buzz surrounding them? I wo0uld be really shocked if they did. And on that note, are the 15" MBP's that are being sold NOW still having the yellow tint issue???

    B
     
  8. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    #8
    Any idea just what the percentage of affected 15" MBPs are?

    Although it's a topic that is being discussed a lot of forums (mind you, people still post about the first-gen magsafes as if it's a current problem), it doesn't get much of a look-in on sites such as Macfixit and Macintouch. Both of these sites are very dependent on reader feedback and if the yellow tint problem is as widespread a problem as some forum posters suggest, then I'm very very surprised these sites aren't picking it up.

    However, it is an problem readily I can understand you wishing to avoid.

    As thagomizer 17" LEDs aren't in production, so:
    a) You might have quite a wait.
    b) As it's a new bit of kit, there could be teething problems

    Personally, I would see if Apple would let you exchange it for the one you want if you're willing to make up the difference - can't hurt to ask and as I'm guessing the machine was compensation of some sort, they may be more flexible than normal.
     
  9. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

    MaddieBrad

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2007
    Location:
    New York City
    #9
    Thats what I want to do but the thing is that they sent me a US version of the MBP and I am living in the UK at the moment. Even if they would let me swap it here then I would have to worry about having to be stuck with a UK keyboard layout which would drive me NUTS! Maybe I can get them to swap it and then swap the keyboards from the one I am returning? I dunno. Its all sorta grey to me at this point. boo.

    b
     
  10. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

    MaddieBrad

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2007
    Location:
    New York City
    #10
    I think it is stupid that this forum has a 100 post limit to be able to post in the "marketplace". It may force me to spam like hell so that I can try to sell this 17" MBP 2.4 that I have sitting here in a box unopened. I would prefer to sell on a forum rather than pay the ebay fees..

    Boo

    B
     

Share This Page