17" MacBook pro BRAND NEW, Yellow screen. PISSED.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nimski62, Feb 8, 2010.

1. nimski62 macrumors regular

Guess which one is my 15" and which one is my 17" 17 was just unboxed 5 min ago..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I looked at them in the store and they were WHITE... I opted for the matte.. the 15" has matte display also.

2. rfrankl macrumors 6502

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm going to guess the one with the larger screen is the 17".

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

5. Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

Why so pissed? Just go take it up with your local store.

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Wait a couple days, take it back, and trade it in for an icore.

You really dont follow this site much if you just bought one of those things, I mean buying a 13 or 15" now is one thing but that 17" could be seeing an i7 processor in the next few days, its got a shot at quad core.

7. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

Well local store = 3 hours away..

Shouldn't be pissed because apple customer relations let me have a brand new 2.8 15.4" unibody (my 1 month out of warranty 15" burnt the living hell out of me)-- adapter went bad and caused the magsafe to fuse to the computer with smoke and my lap burning....and then I realized the new unibody 15" didn't have an express slot like my old non-unibody had, so customer relations once again shipped me a brand new 17"..

ANYWAYS, I guess I will call in tommorow and ask for a senior tech and send him this picture.

Other ppl with 17" unibodys.. how are your screens?

8. Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

Actually, this. Wait to make that call until after the imminent MBP update.

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Aaaah!

So that's what 'yellow screen' is.

I have a 13" mid-2009 MacBook Pro and I occasionall experienced this kind of discolouring. Usually, it's after that I boot from my external HDD. I showed that to Apple in Southampton, but they didn't want to notice it. But if you look at the default background, it's obvious that it has a different tone.

Anyway, now I know. But as I said, I haven't got this problem as a permanent annoyance.

The reason that I checked this thread was that I thought, this problem is exclusive to the 27" iMac.

Oh, Apple, you disappoint again! I stupidly thought that the constant fan noise, overheating and CPU-whine and poor battery life were only the things wrong with my computer. Then you hit me with yellow fever!

10. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

Don't you think they will still send me the same 17" bc they probably havnt ran out of old stock? This badboy came straight from shanghi, china..

11. Picho macrumors member

Have you done the color calibration under System Preferences > Displays > Color?

It's worth a shot, also, try to increase the brightness to see what happens.

12. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Calibrating yourself might not do much, but downloading a profile that someone made for your display using a hardware calibrator can make a big difference. You can find your panel's model number in the color prefs somewhere.

13. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

Brightness of course maxed out. Screen is much yellower in person more yellow towards bottom.. Also tried calibration to no avail.

14. Picho macrumors member

Then I'm sorry to say that you got yourself a lemon.

That happened to me when I upgraded from my iPhone 3G to a 3GS. I was really mad about it, but a couple of days later I got used to it and totally forgot about it until today, although I could swear that the yellow is gone.

But it sucks to have it on a brand new, $2,200 machine.

15. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Where might one find such a thing? I have a PowerBook G4 (2005) and don't have a hardware calibrator.

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm trying to figure out why you bought one with all these rumors flying around.

If they do update them soon, you can trade in yours for an upgrade with a set # of days (14?).

17. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I see what y'all did there... :eek: :D

I would just ask if you can return it... there should be new ones coming out any day now.

18. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

This.
    Its just that displays has different native color temperatures. The panel on the 17" looks yellow if you side by side compare to the panel on the 15" with cooler colors. If you had the 17" one before, you would have called the 15" one "blue display".
    Get a professionally calibrated profile, should be fine.

19. iphoneZ macrumors regular

20. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

Shouldn't be pissed because apple customer relations let me have a brand new 2.8 15.4" unibody (my 1 month out of warranty 15" burnt the living hell out of me)-- adapter went bad and caused the magsafe to fuse to the computer with smoke and my lap burning....and then I realized the new unibody 15" didn't have an express slot like my old non-unibody had, so customer relations once again shipped me a brand new 17"..

ANYWAYS, I guess I will call in tommorow and ask for a senior tech and send him this picture.

Other ppl with 17" unibodys.. how are your screens?

21. iKay macrumors newbie

Sorry to go a little off topic here but ...
    Do you think? I know that my screen is not subject to the 'yellow' issues that some users have had, but after installing Snow Leopard from the upgrade disc ( a clean install) my screen was definitely too blue. Installing Leopard from the MacBook Pro install disc is different calibration though and it looks correct.
    Now I'm a freelance designer, and I calibrated it myself, I find the colours to look much much better however as to whether or not they are 'correct' that is another question.
    I will have to look in to these profiles you mention to compare.

But basically, calibrating it yourself can be worth doing, especially if you have installed from a retail disc!

22. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I could never get anything close to "good" looking by dragging sliders around. I downloaded a profile, and while I'm sure it's not perfect, its a lot better than what came preinstalled on the computer, and it's good enough for me.

23. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Why not take it back to the store? This is obviously an issue.

Habitus :apple:

24. Velociraptor X macrumors newbie

That 'imminent' update probably won't materialize for a little longer because Apple are all-over their iTampon.