17" Macbook pro for $2600

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iTony88, Jan 23, 2009.

1. iTony88 macrumors newbie

Hey guys

This is my first post on this site, so I hope you can help me out

I am looking at buying a new macbook pro. So I've been shopping around on craigslist and found someone who has a few BNIB 15" unibody MBP for $2300. He then emailed me and told me that within the next two weeks, he will have the new 17" unibody MBP for only $2600. (Canadian)

Now I am dealing locally with him, so I'm not worried about him stealing my money or scamming me. But I am thinking, how can he possibly be getting these brand new MBP and be selling them for like $700 cheaper (Canadian currency, with taxes and everything)

So what do you guys think? Should I deal with this guy and see?

I am also worried that the warranty might not be good, or that I won't be able to purchase applecare?

Let me know what you guys think, and I really appreciate all responses

Thanks

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I've also thought that, if it's too good to be true, then it probably is. But, I've also heard of deals like that on Craigslist and eBay going smoothly with the proper product just as promised. It's a tough call, I just bought mine on Amazon.

3. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thanks for the reply

Ya I'm not sure if I should go through with it or not. Hmm... sounds like a great deal, and I will get to chck it out before I buy it, the only thing I'm worrying about is the applecare and warranty.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I suggest that you ask for the SN so you can check it with CoconutIdentityCard and determine the age of the MBP. This will also tell you where it was manufactured, which should be China; you can also check for to see if it is stolen. Since the seller is local, you should have the opportunity to see the MBP in person, before you make the purchase...

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

For a purchase like that, you should always meet at a bank. Check out the goods first and if it all checks out, go into the bank and withdraw the money.

6. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, thanks for that program, I will check it out

Ya since it is local, I will get to see it first, but it is sealed in the box, he doesn't have them yet, but he is going to get them in the next couple weeks. So I am assuming they will be legit 17" unibody MBP, but still kind of on edge about it. I don't know if I should do it or not.

Should I maybe ask if I could open it up right there to check the actual machine? Or could you tell if it is legit from the box?

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I understand your lack of intrepidness with $2300/$2600, since I went through the same situation this past Wednesday, when I was ready to purchase a Unibody MBP 15" for $1500, but the seller wouldn't give me a SN or tell me how recent the purchase was made. He was selling on CL and EB, was local, but never answered my phone calls at the number he gave me. Ended up buying MBP 2.5GHz 250GB for $1199, w/AppleCare and HP printer for a grand total of $1543 OTD...

You should be able to run the SN on the outside of the box via CoconutIdentityCard.

8. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks SFStateStudent

I will definitely get the SN and run it through CIC before I buy it. I am really hoping that this turns out to be legit, because it is a great price for the 17" unibody MBP :D

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I picked up my 2.4 unibody for 1500. I answered the ad on Craigs List and everything was fine.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I wish I had your guts and intuition...:cool:

11. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

same... I've done deals on craigslist before, and never had a problem. But dealing with this kinda money, I am kind of skeptical.

Thanks for everyone's replies, but I am still debating whether or not I should go through with this deal. Hmm... I'm going to keep shopping around, anyone know of any good place to look for a good deal on a new MBP?

12. suburbia macrumors 6502

$2600.00 CDN for the newest 17" MBP is a good deal. If you're confident about dealing with the seller, I would definitely go for it. I don't think you'll find a better deal than that.

13. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

dont forget many ppl get em with developers discounts too so they may be making a few hundred profit just from 1 laptop sale.

14. pennymac macrumors member

There are some ppl using stolen credit card to make the purchase and sell it for 60%~70% of its original price. If they can show you the purchase receipt that will be good.

15. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya it would be nice to have a receipt, but he says he doesnt have a receipt. So it is a shot in the dark.

Now I have a question, lets say (for the questions sake) that it is stolen.. if I were to buy it, and something happens to it, and I take it to apple, would it still be under their one year warranty? Or will they check the serial number, and see that it is stolen, and I will get completely screwed in that case??

Shoot! i really wanna buy this from him, but I dont entirely trust the whole situation... What do you guys think? Thanks

16. Patillac macrumors member

Patillac

Go with your gut feeling and don't look back!!!

17. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol my gut feeling is buy it!!! You guys think I should go for it?

18. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

if its brand new and sealed, go for it

19. watchrabbit macrumors newbie

If it's stolen, you have a much bigger problem than that. You can't gain ownership of a stolen item, so yes, Apple will repair it, but you might not get it back. And you might get a visit too :)

I can tell you that the dealership rebates are around 9-12% max. Let's say you get it from the guy with 20% discount. He should have gotten then for what: -30%??? No way...

20. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

He might be a developer and able to buy them cheaper and hence sell them cheaper.

21. pennymac macrumors member

Hi, I live in toronto as well. Show us your machine if you purchased . <

22. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Feel the guy...

out and see if he's nervous in person. He shouldn't be and he shouldn't have a problem with you inquiring about anything from the serial # to the box. Go with your sixth sense, it will pick up on something you can't see outright.