Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neonfever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
I've been visiting my sister for a couple of weeks and due to the fact that she doesn't have any extra space for me to 'deploy' my 17" MBP and my peripherals I've been using it on my bed most of the time. As we all know it has a pretty heavy display. On the bed (on my lap) when i type, the display tends to 'vibrate' a little because the machine isn't on a steady firm surface. I was just wondering if this will affect my hinge in the long run.

Also a question to other users. Does your hinge have like a springy action for the first few moments when you pull the screen to either open or close it?

Thanks.

LoveMacMini

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
wouldn't be the first apple product to have poor hinges.

altho a laptop that large ... why are you using it in bed?

neonfever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Yea I guess so. But I wouldn't call it a bad hinge. So far everything has been ok. The flex is normal I guess since that even alot of 17" Powerbook users say that it tends to sway a little whever you nudge the laptop or table because of the weight of the screen. Perhaps I mean't to ask if anyone has had a damaged hinge due to this swaying behaviour.

I use it bed because I'm not at home. I am visiting my sister and her place is pretty small. She doesnt have any extra tables I can use to set up my stuff. So whenever I need to do something, it's always on my lap infront of the TV or in bed before I go to sleep. Can't wait to be back at my own place..

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
Yes all do wobble on a non-stable surface....

neonfever said:
I've been visiting my sister for a couple of weeks and due to the fact that she doesn't have any extra space for me to 'deploy' my 17" MBP and my peripherals I've been using it on my bed most of the time. As we all know it has a pretty heavy display. On the bed (on my lap) when i type, the display tends to 'vibrate' a little because the machine isn't on a steady firm surface. I was just wondering if this will affect my hinge in the long run.

Also a question to other users. Does your hinge have like a springy action for the first few moments when you pull the screen to either open or close it?

Thanks.

This is clearly a design flaw. I said it before and say it again...

:D

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
i haven't liked the hinge since they first debuted this style. it has a limited range. if i gotta stand on top of the comptuer i can't put my screen back all the way.

sorry, that probably didn't help...

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
the hinge on my 15" MBP is kinda springy when it gets down to the latch. it kind of resists being closed until you give it a gentle push and then when you release the latch, it pops up. that doesn't bother me.

i haven't noticed any problems with the viewing except that it doesn't go to 180 degrees. which i guess really isn't a problem for me and the pros of this computer clearly outweigh the cons. it would be nice to have the display be able to go all the way down but i suppose it's not really necessary and if apple did do this, it would probably require a serious design change, at least in the back.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
No problems

I've been using my 17" PB 1ghz for 3.5 years now in all kinds of ways, including in bed. No problems whatsoever.

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
No problem...

slffl said:
I've been using my 17" PB 1ghz for 3.5 years now in all kinds of ways, including in bed. No problems whatsoever.

Of course the screen wobble is not a problem if you ignore that it is exisiting. I like the IBM ThinkPad hinge design. It is sturdy and works fine.

The fact remains that APPLE's hinge is technically faulty. The general design of the çontainer' is an outside-inside design. A nice looking box was created, ignoring the problems when fitting the hardware inside... It limits what you can actualy install. 2-3 mm more height would have solved many little itches...

Having said all this, I STILL would buy the early 2007 rev. 17" MBP, incl . the merom and 800MHz frontside bus.

:p

neonfever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess yea if you choose to ignore it, which.. I have or rather already decided to then I guess there isn't much to complain about. I was just paranoid that it would come off at some point. haha. Was at a computer fair today and got to play with the 15" one for a while. Doesn't wobble much..but not totally stiff either, but definitely takes more effort to open than the 17". I agree that the problem lies with the design and mounting of the hinge + display to begin with. even with a stiffer hinge it would still wobble. So I think I'll let it rest now and just enjoy using/working on this fantastic machine... while it lasts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.