17" MacBook Pro HOT, 15 MacBook Pro NOT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thiagofll, Aug 11, 2007.

1. thiagofll macrumors member

thiagofll

Ok So I had a 2.2GHZ SR Core2Duo MacBook Pro with LED Screen. I sold it and decided to get a High Resolution 17" 2.4GHZ SR Core2Duo...

Anyways this laptop is BURNING the hell out of me. The 15 inch was always cool, even when ripping movies. I can't even dare to rip a movie with this one, I will end up in the hospital...

Is that normal for the 17" models?

2. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

I've read in a few places that these machines are not recommended as true Laptops and that sitting them on soft surfaces interferes with cooling, leading to heat build up. you may try sitting it on a hard flat surface and elevate the rear end a tetch for proper air circulation

3. chex macrumors regular

possibly bad thermal paste application, I would take it back and get them to replace/check it

4. tardinha macrumors member

i've been using mine (17" Hi Res) on my lap in bed, doing web design and photo editing. it gets a little warm, but not so i have to move it... the fans certainly ramp up, but it all keeps within a workable temp

5. Adamo macrumors 6502

My 15" is so hot it's not even worth trying to use on bare legs - it'd burn you. With trousers it's pretty hot too.

6. thiagofll thread starter macrumors member

thiagofll

Do you have the newest Core 2 Duo or the Core Duo version? I had the Core Duo version Rev A and yes those used to get pretty hot but then Apple fixed them when the Core 2 Duo versions came out...

Which one do you have?

7. Adamo macrumors 6502

Newest SR 2.4Ghz. I've had BlackBooks from the previous Core 2 Duo and Core Duo ranges and even they weren't as hot as my MacBook Pro is.

8. thiagofll thread starter macrumors member

thiagofll

Yeah...I would take it to the Apple store but i dont want them opening my brand new computer. After it is opened, it is never the same....I will just leave it as it is, for now at least.

9. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I have a C2D 15" that can get pretty hot when doing some processor intensive stuff. However, it's okay on my lap when surfing the net and stuff. So, rip movies with it, just don't have it on your lap while doing it. When it gets hot, put it on your desk. It doesn't always have to be operated from your lap.