17" MacBook Pro - Late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DomarackiA, May 8, 2012.

1. DomarackiA macrumors member

Worried. If the rumors are true, then the 2012 MacBook Pro won't come out with the 17" form factor.

I really want / need the extra screen space and resolution though. So I wanted to check with the community here about the likeliness of the 17" MBP being killed off or if not, then is it worth waiting for the Ivy Bridge MBP's instead?

For instance, will the AMD 77xx be a big update over the 6770 in the current model?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You've clearly already read as much as anyone else has on the subject of the 17" getting killed. Nobody outside of Apple's top management can give you any more info on the chances of it being killed.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

The way you know the 17 won't be killed is because it makes no sense.

Apple always does things that make sense

4. DomarackiA thread starter macrumors member

I hope you're right, I really would be kicking myself if the 17" got discontinued.

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

So would a lot of people. MR posts all kinda of RUMORS. Don't read into it too heavy. It was some guy guessing at stuff who was right about something in the past so MR reported his statement but it's hardly concrete or even reasonable or logical.

6. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Don't take it too seriously. For the most part, i feel that it may take a good while before they actually discontinue them. But i don't know for sure so only time will tell.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This was a rumor with no real basis. The analyst who started it didn't even say how he arrived at his theoretical sales numbers by model. Anyway that's all it was. An analyst speculated on its future. He basically piggybacked it off the rumor of a redesign.

8. trajan2448 macrumors member

I spoke with a manager at an APPLE store today who said they sell MANY 17"
    MBPros ,its very profitable for them, and don't bother with some idiot analyst rumor who just wants to see his name in various articles.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why? The current models won't run any slower if they are discontinued with the next refresh. Plus it's not like you could have done anything to prevent it.

10. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

rumors are rumors

well,rumors are rumors,wait until the refresh happens to see the truth.i think it won't be canceled, apple isn't a company that just cares money. it still have a marketplace, which is for such people who like big screen and resolution but also needs to move with their computers.:)

11. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Haha I got to admit that reading long discussions about the possible demise of the 17" is quite stressful. :D

12. DomarackiA thread starter macrumors member

That's what I would have thought too! Really get annoyed when I get caught by FUD.

For other reasons, I have to wait until early July to order, now.

Really excited to replace my old 2009 MBP 15". It's been a great laptop.