17" Macbook Pro not shipping due to hardware issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazzer82, Mar 28, 2009.

1. gazzer82 macrumors regular

The company i work for buy a lot of mac pro's / mac mini's. Recently i managed to persuade my boss that i need a 17" macbook pro for "work purposes" and he agreed, so i contacted our usual suppliers and placed and order. That was almost four weeks ago.

When i spoke to our account manager on Friday he informed me that shipments to them are currently on an indefinite delay due to hardware issues that need to be addressed. This was apparently told to him from his account manager at apple.

Just thought i would share that with everyone on here, especially all those experiencing issues at the moment. Also if you are thinking of buying the 17", might be worth holding of for a little while till all the bugs are sorted.

In the mean time i shall return to waiting very impatiently for my new macbook pro. Wouldn't be so bad but the optical drive on my current one is dead as a dodo, very very frustrating!!!!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Thats funny cause they're still being sold at the Apple Store. Maybe the resellers are low on supply or still haven't received supply yet and using "hardware issues" as an excuse?

3. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Maybe Apple ordered a faulty batch of hardware to go into their Macbook Pros and are having to send back the faulty hardware in return for some new, working hardware. Just a thought.

4. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

Ummh, maybe the order is being held up by someone in purchasing who hates macs, or who recently saw the microsoft ad and is trying to find you a suitable $699 17-inch PC replacement?

5. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

lol i hate that damn commercial. Did you ever see the full version were she goes to the apple store (mac store as they called it) she says "well i guess i
    not cool enough for a mac". Thats some funny sh$&

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Your account manager is clearly lazy and needs sacking, your company doesn't need someone like him lazying around during a recession. Theres no hardware issue, go to any Apple store and you'll see them for sale. Your account manager is just making excuses because he probably forgot to order yours and needs an excuse.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

That never stopped apple from selling their mbp. Like last 2 years all of 2 years apple has sold their mbp with the faulty 8600m gt cards.

I'm glad at least their addressing this issue. I'm going to wait a couple more months before buying the 17" mbp. Make sure I get the revised versions. Thanks for the info.

8. satrycon macrumors member

finally got my mbp 17" 2 days ago, i had ordered on the 29th of JAN!

have raped it with nuke, shake and maya for 2 days, no issues at all., the idle temps average around 57degs C, the fans jump between 2k and 3k rpm as soon as the temp hits 60deg C.. and jump to 4k<->5k once the temp is around 80deg C...nuke does crash during certain operations

Nuke may trigger an OS X bug that causes a kernel failure. This is due to a bug in OS*X 10.5 to do with stereo OpenGL support. The bug has been registered with Apple as bug number 5897735

but otherwise running fine and not very hot...getting a battery life of approx 5hrs+

my mbp > 2.93ghz, 7200rpm 320gb,4gb ram, anti glare..
    no scratches, no light bleed, screen is brighter than the sun, no flicker no green lines.. the build is 2nd week of march 2009.. the new firmware for nvidia went in as soon as i did the first boot, so i dont know what that firmware update has changed..

the mbp doesnt get as warm as my old 2007 2.4ghz mbp, but it DOES feel warmer, [and the fans speeds confirm this] on the left side than it does on the right.

i did install fan control [ just in case :) ] but after testing for 2 days i dont need it, because the fans seem to go upto 5800rpm when doing something really intensive anyways..

the nvidia card "feels" underpowered for some reason..i don't know how to check this..

but all seems good so far..

9. satrycon macrumors member

is it possible to downgrade this 17" mbp unibody to tiger ? leopard sucks for my main app.

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Most definitely not.

11. gazzer82 thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks for all the very useful comments, lol.

No worries on the holding out for a PC front, we use a lot of software that is mac only so it's not even an option. Also the account manager does not work for us, but for the company we get our macs through. In all fairness to them, i believe they are telling the truth about the delay as in the past when they have had supply issues, they have always told us that's the case.

Anywho i shall keep you all updated as to if and when it finally ships. My patience is waning by the hour!!

12. Gloor macrumors 6502a

my replacement cto has just gone to prepared for shipment so i think your theory is wrong. well, let us know what happens but i think there is no such thing as major hardware issue. it could be the demand :)

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Maybe you were one of the lucky ones for the first come first serve 1 unit that just needs replacing of a new improved logic board? Thats why its shipped back to you much quicker?

I guess the OP would have to wait until the whole new batches would be ready to ship to his company for him to receive his mbp.

14. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Sounds like he's trying to get you to settle for a cheaper Macbook instead. A pity your posting header is presented as fact and could mislead a lot of people into believing such nonsense.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I believe that Apple did revise the logic boards and this really explains why the first batch shipments of the 17" unibody mbp was delayed an extra 2 weeks when it was first shipped.

Anyway, I did notice that when you order a 17" mbp its only 1-3 day shipping now. And perhaps the OP's company orders a lot of them which would take a lot longer than just ordering 1-5 units. I mean if you put in a order for 50-100 units it would take that long.

Also why would the apple employee try to persuade (in this case by saying in a passive agressive way that they want the OP's company to get cheaper macbooks or telling them there is a DELAY on purpose??) the OP's company from getting the MORE expensive 17", that would be BAD for Apple's business.