17" Macbook Pro or 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ob81, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I searched the forums, and people that had questions about which of these systems to purchase were mainly comparing features such as LED display and battery life.
    I will be primarily using the system during photo outings to process photos, and as a mobile station at home. I have a desktop system with great screen space, and I wanted to sort of keep my desktop and laptop separate.
    Any 17" Macbook pro users out there that carry their 17" around a lot? People that mulled over this decision before: What convinced you to go whichever route you went?

I normally come to you guys when I have to many +'s and -'s to decide :)

17" laptop bags seem scarce also.

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've not used one, but played with a friends at work. For bring around with you everywhere you may regret it, but it's great as a main machine that you need to occasionaly bring elsewhere.

3. kylep6190 macrumors member

Definately go with the 15", it will be a lot easier to carry around and still give you pretty good screen space.

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

the 15" isn't exactly easy to carry around anyway

i have a few friends with macbooks

1 x 17"
    3 x 15"
    6 x 13"

and the 13" is best for using at uni...easy to move around and prettty fast
    the 17" is basically a portable desktop...you have to move it around consciously , but the monitor is awesome

15" is just an MBP...a top laptop..but the screen doesn't compare to the 17"

and if you're thinking of getting the high res screen, you'll never look back on the 17"

VERDICT: 17"

5. GStreakT macrumors member

I had the same dilemma, ob81. I think you shold go for the 15". Like others have said, they re easier to carry and those 2 extra inches of screen size aren't worth it. Instead, you could you save the money to buy an accessory for the laptop or even a cinema display (as others have said to me). Like you said, you already have a bigger screen for your desktop so there's no real point of carrying another huge laptop around.

6. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I know too many people who have tried to get rid of their 17's due to size... common complaint: not portable enough.

Go with a 15... :apple::D

7. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

I'd go for a 15". Easier to tote around than a 17" (especially if you fly a lot), just as powerful as a 17", features are pretty similar (you only lose out on 1 extra USB port, even 15's have FW800 now) and I think they are more powerful than the 13" macbooks.

8. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I'd say 15" because my 17" is weighing me down so badly. it's not really a laptop...

I'm probably going to give this 17" to my bro and get a 15". I travel around with my laptop on my back along with my Sony DSLR so at any given time my bag is at least 4kg (sorry, I don't speak pounds).

I'm debating whether I should get the base model of 15" or the high end 15". Because I know that I'll be working on the Desktop and that laptop is for mobility...

Some people said that there would be newer mbps coming out in Janurary @ macworld, but I think I'm getting 1 during December anyway. Apple doesn't know when to release products... I still remembered last year Sony (and probably MS Zune) released the PS3 just before the December holidays. The sales was high (with the exceptions of the zune).

I don't think you should get a 13" because the screen resolution is too low, and my mum said that the "quality" isn't matching the mbp (ie. aluminium). My HP 14" died a miserable death (and I was too miserable) in April, and it had 1280x768 (the mb is 1280x800, +32 vertical pixels) which is sooooo low... I run out of space all the time, because I photoshop and dreamweaver a lot.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Another vote for the 15". The 17" is just not a portable machine.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I'll buy them. Love my 17" MBP; I carries it everywhere (a good bag makes a huge difference). No problem waiting in line for something and pull it out and watch a movie or write some emails.

Perhaps your friends need to go to the gym? =p

Btw, I had the 15" before, I've been hooked on the extra screen real estate of the 17".

11. ob81 thread starter macrumors 65816

ob81

I would hate having the feeling of wishing I had gotten a smaller laptop. I think I will go with the 15" as it is more portable, and just as powerful as the 17". The only thing that I would be missing out on is the resolution I suppose.

15" it is! Thanks all!

12. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

Congrats on your decision. Glad to have helped. Really whatever you get, you won't be disappointed. Remember, you can always connect to you desktop monitor whenever you need the extra real estate.

13. ivan1234 macrumors regular

I've had both and the 17 is my favorite computer to date. ;)

14. basqarl macrumors regular

High Resolution worth it?

I'm having the same dilemma deciding between the 15 and 17. If it weren't for the high res. I'd do the 15.

My son, on the other hand, suggested that regardless of the size, I get the 15. He said that the high resolution makes the print smaller and harder to read. Is that true?

Thanks!

15. ob81 thread starter macrumors 65816

ob81

Yes the print is sharper and depedning on the person, it could be harder to read. I went with the 15" btw. I picked up the 17" in the store, and while nice, I knew I would regret it after a while. Very happy with the 15". Thanks all!

16. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

15" only cause its a little easier to tote. (and i have one):D

17. basqarl macrumors regular

15" or 17" and other questions....

Wink Still considering other options for MBP...

Am still browsing the forums to try to figure out whether to get it now or wait for upgrade to Penryn in January or February (assuming the rumors are true).

Son has MBP and complains of over-heating and battery issues. As an amateur photographer, I want the max RAM (will probably order separately through another vendor to save $$$). I also want the matte high resolution screen due to more realistic color saturation and representation.

Have been considering 15" but although I want portability when needed, this will also serve as my desktop, so I'm thinking that the 17" might serve me better. Also, I tend to have many applications and many windows open at once, so 17" will probably give me better immediate access visually.

Am not in a HUGE hurry, but my old Dell laptop is on its last legs and is very very slow (and does not have the features I need at this point), so the sooner the better, except that I am hearing that the Penryn will not have the heating issues and will be faster (?) so really am torn as to whether to ride it out on my Dell or buy now.

Another thing is that when the new MBP comes out, there will probably be bugs to be ironed out; not sure I want to have to deal with that; buying a 'tested' system such as the current MBP may be the way to go.

Posted this on a 'free shipping' thread but really want opinions of others regarding 15 or 17 (and matte high res. vs. not matte vs. not high res.)):confused:

18. ob81 thread starter macrumors 65816

ob81

Well, OSX 10.5 (leopard) solves your screen issue. That was part of the deciding factor for me in my decision. You can have as many desktops as you want, and it is VERY easy to switch through them. You are spot on, get the matte if you are doing photo editing. I waited a bit to purchase the SR Macbook Pro until after the issus were cleared up. My laptop has been working fine, and I have used it on my lap several times. If I would have decided to wait until January, I would be waiting forever, because I wouldn't buy the first shipments of the new product anyway, then right when I was ready to buy more rumors about a refresh would surface. Never ending cycle. I semi-needed it, so I went ahead and purchased. The new Macbook pro's will not be to far ahead of the current line anyway.

This laptop being your main system is the only aspect that would have me considering going with the 17". It is probably a better idea to go with the 15" and get an external monitor for your desk.

Like I said though, I would get the 15", now, and call it a day.

19. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Go with the 15-inch, and use the money saved for upgrades such as RAM, larger HD etc ...

20. skp574 macrumors 6502

I've had both several 15" MBPs and MacBooks over the years but when the HD screen came out for the 17" I had to take a look.

I used to have my 15" hooked up to a 23" Cinema Display in the office. When I played with a 17" HD MBP I was hooked. The 1920 x 1200 screen resolution is awesome. I can read text fine on screen. It's great for using Photoshop and Aperture and FCP. I honestly don't think it's that big a laptop compared to other manufacturers' offerings, it's slim and light.

I have an Incase backpack and take it everywhere with me and it doesn't look as though I'm carrying a behemoth laptop. I can't see myself going back to a smaller screen anytime soon.

I will say that cases are few and far between for the 17" models.