17" MacBook Pro Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blairian89, Jan 5, 2017.

1. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

I am interested in picking up a 17" MacBook Pro (Late 2011). What is a good price range and is it worth it?

I found one on eBay that was refurbished by Apple in December of 2016; new logic board, display, RAM, etc. were all installed. It looks brand new and quite frankly a lot of the internals ARE brand new.

This machine would just be for fun, browsing, and tinkering. I may use it for work as a desktop replacement if it functions well enough. I always wanted one in the past and could not afford it then; now that I can I kind of want to experience one.

$1,399 is the asking price for the one I am looking at and it sounds like it could be decent given the scarcity of the machines at this point in the game. What do y'all think?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

No no no no no no! $1400 is ludicrously expensive for a 5 year old laptop anyway. But the 2011 15/17"s have massive documented issues with graphics failing. Avoid them like the plague. The refurb boards fail. New boards fail. Avoid!

For that money you can get a much better computer. A brand-new Mac would be so much quicker with just a dual core CPU, due to the much quicker Flash speeds. Plus the 2nd gen quad-core i7s in the 2011 15/17"s have nowhere near the performance the 2012-onward quads (15" Early 2013 Retina notwithstanding, but they also have GPU failures too).

Overall, it's a poor purchase all round. And $1400 is a joke of an asking price.

3. blairian89, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

blairian89 thread starter macrumors 6502

blairian89

I feel like I should clarify and make it clear that I have NOT purchased this device; just getting some informed opinions.

You have several good points there - I had not considered the age (it feels like 2011 was just a few days ago almost) and I did not know that there have been a lot of issues with them...learn something new everyday.

I suppose that for the price I could pick up a brand new MBA (or other) and know it will be a pretty solid machine for years to come.