17" Macbook Pro Retina down the road???

Razzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
I Was wondering if anyone has heard the slights bit of information that a macbook pro retina 17" will be coming out later? i Know 17" models usually come out later. But i honestly don't buy it when people say the 17" model has been discontinued. there has to be someone who's asked someone at apple and gotten a reasonable, reliably response? just cause they didn't update the old macbook with a 17 is not enough proof for me. D: i want a 17!!!!!

Thoughts?

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I really wouldn't count on it... I think we've seen the last of the 17"

Comment

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Highly unlikely. If they were going to update it, there's no reason they would have stopped selling the existing version in the meantime. All signs point to it being dead and buried.

Comment

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
How much proof do you need?

When the Unibody machines came out, apple continued to sell the nonunibody 17" and said specifically that the 17" would come out at a later time.

You cannot buy a 17" new anymore through their website. All stocks have been moved to the refurbished pile.

It wasn't mentioned in the keynote.

Apple PR has said that there is a new mac pro coming out, no new iMacs and have said absolutely nothing about the 17".

17" was never a best seller (although I have one).

No one is complaining about the 17" being gone like the very vocal majority who whined with the Unibody macbook was released without a firewire port.

etc , etc

Comment

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Its highly unlikely. Got to think about all the factors going into it too. Not to mention if this thing ever existed, it would be waaaay too expensive.

Comment

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Because the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros had the exact same CPUs and GPUs, there were only 2 reasons to get the 17" Pro: increased screen size for coding, and increased number of pixels for photo/video editing. The latter reason is now obsolete because of the Retina Display, and the former is better suited by an external monitor anyway.

It's not coming back. There's no reason to make it anymore.

Comment

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
There's no room for one price wise.

Starting at $2800, the high end rMBP is already more expensive than the 17" MBP ever was.

Comment

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
there needs to be a public outcry
if apple would do the same treatment for the 17 inch
say 5.5 pounds and .7 inches...i think a lot more people would buy them then just 1%

Comment

davidhunternyc

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2011
I think it is strange for people on this forum to say that we don't need a 17" MacBook Pro. Who is to say who needs what? Everyone has their own reasons as to why or why not they need or want a specific computer. Heck, you don't need an Apple. Just go out and buy a Dell.

Comment

boybrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Long Island
I think it is strange for people on this forum to say that we don't need a 17" MacBook Pro. Who is to say who needs what? Everyone has their own reasons as to why or why not they need or want a specific computer. Heck, you don't need an Apple. Just go out and buy a Dell.
Or an Acer, lol.

Comment

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
General comment not designed at any given person -

I notice that a lot around the net, people that want things removed ( because they do not use it) or telling what should matter to someone else when those other people directing stated they want it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.