17" Macbook Pro Retina down the road???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Razzz, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Razzz macrumors member

I Was wondering if anyone has heard the slights bit of information that a macbook pro retina 17" will be coming out later? i Know 17" models usually come out later. But i honestly don't buy it when people say the 17" model has been discontinued. there has to be someone who's asked someone at apple and gotten a reasonable, reliably response? just cause they didn't update the old macbook with a 17 is not enough proof for me. D: i want a 17!!!!!

Thoughts?

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

3. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

I really wouldn't count on it... I think we've seen the last of the 17"

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Highly unlikely. If they were going to update it, there's no reason they would have stopped selling the existing version in the meantime. All signs point to it being dead and buried.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

How much proof do you need?

When the Unibody machines came out, apple continued to sell the nonunibody 17" and said specifically that the 17" would come out at a later time.

You cannot buy a 17" new anymore through their website. All stocks have been moved to the refurbished pile.

It wasn't mentioned in the keynote.

Apple PR has said that there is a new mac pro coming out, no new iMacs and have said absolutely nothing about the 17".

17" was never a best seller (although I have one).

No one is complaining about the 17" being gone like the very vocal majority who whined with the Unibody macbook was released without a firewire port.

etc , etc

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7. 07dodge macrumors member

8. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Its highly unlikely. Got to think about all the factors going into it too. Not to mention if this thing ever existed, it would be waaaay too expensive.

9. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Because the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros had the exact same CPUs and GPUs, there were only 2 reasons to get the 17" Pro: increased screen size for coding, and increased number of pixels for photo/video editing. The latter reason is now obsolete because of the Retina Display, and the former is better suited by an external monitor anyway.

It's not coming back. There's no reason to make it anymore.

10. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

There's no room for one price wise.

Starting at $2800, the high end rMBP is already more expensive than the 17" MBP ever was.

11. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

there needs to be a public outcry
    if apple would do the same treatment for the 17 inch
    say 5.5 pounds and .7 inches...i think a lot more people would buy them then just 1%

12. davidhunternyc macrumors member

I think it is strange for people on this forum to say that we don't need a 17" MacBook Pro. Who is to say who needs what? Everyone has their own reasons as to why or why not they need or want a specific computer. Heck, you don't need an Apple. Just go out and buy a Dell.

13. boybrown macrumors newbie

boybrown

Or an Acer, lol.

14. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

General comment not designed at any given person -

I notice that a lot around the net, people that want things removed ( because they do not use it) or telling what should matter to someone else when those other people directing stated they want it.