17" MacBook Pro Update Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Freewayjim, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I noticed that the 17" got a speed bump update (Hi-Res screen, 4GB Ram, 320GB HD) for the same price of $2799 and considering I really like the style and don't want to lose any ports I'm thinking about getting one.

That being said it's got the same Nvidia 8600M GT graphics card that has had problems.

My question is that since Apple has upgraded some aspects of this machine are the chances still good that I could be getting a faulty graphics card, or has that problem been addressed and these machines are getting 8600M GT cards that are not faulty?

Honestly it would be pretty stoopid of Apple to update a machine and keep a faulty part (a major one at that) as part of it's make-up but I'd appreciate any insight you all have to offer on this.

2. benjs macrumors regular

I asked the same of two separate (both incompetent) AppleCare representatives on the phone today. One of them tried to convince me that this 8600 is different because on their specs it shows that it's a "G84" which is just nVidia's codename for the GeForce 8600. The other tried to suggest that they've only found the issue is in the 15" old MacBook Pros, and couldn't quite grasp my thought that perhaps the issue could be in the 17" models. In the end, he said it would be covered if I had AppleCare. Great.