17" Macbook Pro upgrade to WUXGA High Res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bleepjay, Jul 28, 2008.

1. bleepjay macrumors member

So I bought my first Mac and got it today and are pretty pumped. I bought it used and got a decent price on it, but it is the regular display, and I think I want the High Res Display.

I noticed the thread about a Hi-def MBP but that thread is more focused on the 15". I'm assuming this will be a pretty easy upgrade where I could swap out the screens because the hardware should support the upgraded LCD?

Am I correct in thinking this? Any recommendations as to where to get a screen? Does Apple offer to do the upgrade at all? I don't mind doing it, but if it's not much more expensive for them to do, I'd rather the do it.

I appreciate all help in advance.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple offers 1920x1200 as BTO in the Store. You should have just gotten it there...

3. bleepjay thread starter macrumors member

I would have but saved a good amount of money by buying it used. I'm wondering if I need to try to sell this one and get the exact one I want or if the upgrade can be done rather easily

4. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I have one (17" hi res MBP) and love it. Apple only sells them direct as an option when you order. I'm 99% sure you can't upgrade an existing MBP thru them. Not sure if you could do it yourself or not.

How about selling the one you got used and buying a new one with the config you want direct thru Apple? Sometimes they are available for a discount thru the refurb :apple: store. There's a couple up there now for $2,500.

5. bleepjay thread starter macrumors member

So is that the only option? I've replaced LCD screens in other laptops (PCs) before but never a Mac. Is it a very similar replacement.

6. Eric. macrumors regular

See if you can find some Apple certified repair centers around you. They may be willing to sell you a panel.

7. bleepjay thread starter macrumors member

So should I stay away from the panels I see on ebay that are for this MBP?

8. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

Wow, I've heard of going about things the hard way, but this takes the cake. :rolleyes:

9. bleepjay thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean Bubba? I bought the regular display, but after having it a little while, and because I am going to be using this for software development, I feel the higher Res will be a lot more beneficial. Do you think my best option would be to sell this and get one with the display?

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

As long as you are confident in your ability to replace the display it doesn't seem like it's THAT hard. I think people are just used to the closed box un-changeable ways of the Mac...

iFixit.com probably has all the documentation you need to preform the swap and I don't think the LCD connectors would be different, the one this you should make sure of is the physical size of the display. I think the 17" Hi-res is LED and the low res is still a tube light or something, that could cause issues.

The cost you saved however may be blown away by the cost of the panel. Here's one (I think) http://www.welovemacs.com/6614628.html but it's like $899 without the old one to swap. This place says they'll repair one for $550 but I don't know if they would put in a different one...
    http://www.macservice.com/macbookpro.html

Good luck.

11. bleepjay thread starter macrumors member

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. bleepjay thread starter macrumors member

I can just go into the store and exchange my computer? I don't understand. How much credit would they give me? Keep in mind that I bought this from somebody.

14. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I'd say NO. At least if you spend the $500-$700 then you are for sure to end up with the correct panel; these guys you may or may not get the correct one for your $300. Even if you do get the correct panel (unless all the 17" MBP are the same screen then I don't see how them listing 17" hi-res is enough detail), they give 4 month of warranty as opposed to a year for the other guys...

I would try to find a MBP with the screen you want and a trashed logic board or something and pull the screen before I did the ebay panel, but I don't know; I could be completely wrong. The guy you linked to has really good feedback and is a power seller so if indeed it was the correct LCD with no issues then it's a helluva deal...

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh, well in that case you can't exchange…