17" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by proc23, Dec 15, 2010.

1. proc23 macrumors newbie

HI guys, long time Mac hater here. I have been the biggest anti-mac person I know. The reason, just because. I am going to buy a Macbook pro real soon. I am tired of my PC sucking. I will primarily be playing computer games. Nothing really graphic intensive, WoW and Starcraft 2. My question is will this Mac handle it on Ultra settings?

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display

Thanks for the advice. I hope will enjoy my switching.

Oh also did you know Mac, Dell, Sony and some other laptops are all assembled by the same company in Taiwan?

2. jsilas macrumors regular

I cannot speak from experience (I don't use my MacBook for gaming) but I honestly doubt that the MacBook could run any modern game at ultra settings.

Also, to the point of your setup, I'd recommend going with an SSD to help the system along a bit. I did an SSD for OS/Apps and put a 500GB 7200 in an OptiBay for storage - best of both worlds.

Good luck, HATER ;)

3. croooow, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Wow, PCs must really suck for you to switch to something that you hate.

Did you consider Linux?

I continue to use both Windows and Mac. I like that we have both at home.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

It should be more than sufficient for that. It does have a decently powerful discrete GPU.

Btw, I have worked in several factories, all of which made several different brands. Trust me, being made in the same plant does NOT even remotely make them equal. Factory setup workers change entire machines and reprogram robotics entirely for each different product.

5. proc23, Dec 15, 2010

proc23 thread starter macrumors newbie

the SSD is just to damn expensive on a mac i store a lot on my computer and would need at leas the 512 and that is like $1300. I may look into adding one later.
    I really had no reason to hate a Mac other than just because. I am tired of my PC giving me issues. I like Linux but none of the games I play are Linux compatable and II already have Kunbuntu installed on VMware. It is cool to have but Linux will never be my primary OS.
    Oh I know what you mean i just think its funny most people don't know.

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

My machine in my sig can slow down a bit on Starcraft 2 at the screens native res but I would forget about buying a computer now as Apple may put AMD graphics in the next refresh. At the very least we should get a bump in the GPU. I would then also get the maximum CPU you can too as people think SC 2 uses a CPU power a lot.

7. proc23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet man thanks for the info it is pretty much the same load out as mine that I am thinking of buying. I would like to wait on the AMD but idk if I can wait. My motherboard has been really crappy lately on my Asus, I need to replace soon. I ll try to hold off but if not I'll upgrade the processor.

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

If you can I would just wait until January to see what rumours come out. Otherwise get the 17" if that's the one you want and get the 2.88 CPU? Then later on you can get more ram and an SSD for a lot less then what Apple charge. If you don't like OSX then you can always put Windows on and make it boot by default into it but both your games run fine in OSX.

9. proc23 thread starter macrumors newbie

True thanks again. I am waiting on some cash to come in, most likely in January anyway.

10. jsilas macrumors regular

I store a lot on my computer too, which is why I did a smaller SSD (128GB) for OS and Apps for speed, and then did the 2nd drive for storage. It's a great and affordable hybrid (I only spent $49 on the 7200rpm 500GB SataII HDD, and another $99 on the OptiBay).

11. Timur, Dec 15, 2010

Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

I used to be a Mercedes hater, but I am sick of how my Volkswagen sucks. All I wanna do is drive Formula 1 races, nothing too intensive, just 350 to 400 km/h around Monte Carlo. Can I do that in a Mercedes C or S class?

Oh also did you know that Mercedes, Ford and Toota and some other cars are all assembled in the same factory in Cheapistan? :rolleyes:

12. proc23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have thought of this and may do that cause the speed increase is substantial.

13. proc23 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help bro. I have noticed people that fail at life generally have nothing productive to say and just troll around trying to hard to get a rise out of people so that they can have something to live for in their lives. I pity those people...

14. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

that guy's signature explains it all.

15. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Lol, he said 'Game.' So that pretty much shoots that one down.

Anyways, yes. It should handle mostly any game you throw at it at high settings.

16. proc23 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol
    yeah that what I thought, I know I PC could handle it with those specs and I know the MAC OS is more stable and less resource intensive so I thought it would work. However, I had read quite a few post here that said if you want to "game" dont get a Mac. So I just want to clarify. Thanks all for your help.

17. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

OP: Do you know what kind of PC gaming machine you could buy with the money you're about to throw down on a 17" MBP? :eek:

18. proc23 thread starter macrumors newbie

sadly yes I do. The PC i was going to get that was half the price

~$1700 USD

Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz)
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 4 SODIMM Sockets, up to 8GB
    1TB (500G 7200RPM x2) HDD; Blue-Ray Disk Combo Drive; 802.11 b/g/n
    Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5; Windows Home Premium 64-bit Operating System
    17.3-Inch Full HD (1920x1080) LED Display; 2.0M Webcam; Gaming Backpack and Mouse;EAX 5.0 Sound Thx True Sound

I am just so tired of PC problems. Like my current PC the motherboard is failing. It has lots of problems reading hard drives and the optical drive. I am sure the PC above will be far better for a short period of time. I just know it crap out in a year tops. My wife, not quite computer savvy as me, has gone through 3 pcs in the past year. Her Mac has lasted forever. I have just had enough of dealing with PC BS and need a change. I know Macs have their problems but I am hoping that they are not as bad as my PC. My wife has never had a problem a reboot did not fix. Trust me if I do not like its performance I will jump back on a gaming PC and sell my Mac for roughly the same price I will be buying the PC for.

19. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Have you decided if you are going to wait for the new machines yet or you jumping in now? :D

20. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

There is something to be said about not having to spend so much time dealing with the issues that many of us have to with a Windows PC. I spent $2100 on a notebook that I would have matched (at least the specs: RAM, HD, Processor, etc) for half the price with a Windows machine, but it will be worth the extra $1000 or so to just be able to turn it on and use it each day.

21. proc23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am waiting till after Christmas for sure and might as well wait till January to see if there are any announcements. If nothing by mid January I'll probably go ahead with this years model with SSD and add on a external 2tb drive they have at tigerdirect for $80
    Yeah I wont have to flip it over, remove the battery and hold the reset button just to get it to boot. lol