17" MBP 8,3 as an upgrade to a MacPro 1,1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamnabot, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jamnabot macrumors newbie

I've just bought (but not received yet) a 17" MBP as I'm doing a lot of my work on the road at the moment and my old 15 incher just isn't cutting it.

At home I normally use a MacPro 1,1 (Quad 3GHz, Radeon 4870, plenty of RAM and storage) for After Effects, FCP and motion graphics work and it's still performing like a trooper.

I know NOTHING about the progress of CPUs and the relative power of chips, so my question is, is the generational difference between the power of my MacPro and the 17" MBP enough to replace the MP as a main machine?

I don't use any extra PCI cards and fast external storage isn't an issue with FW 800 and ThunderBolt, but I don't know if the overall architecture of the MacPro still gives it an edge over a mobile system.

Any thoughts?

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

The MBP will definitely out perform your MP. But, your MP is still a viable machine and personally I would still keep it.

3. Jamnabot thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I agree, the tower is still an amazing machine and while yes, newer MacPros outperform it several fold, it still doesn't feel sluggish yet.

I'd probably turn it into a rendering machine that I'd fire up when I have extra workload.