17" MBP a "true" laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bniu, May 20, 2011.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

my current MBP is a 13" and I find it hard to use on my laps as the computer is just too narrow to fit comfortably on my laps. I always have to sit with my laps real close together to get the 13" MBP to balance well. How well does the 17 fit as a more "true" laptop? Does it balance well on your laps without having to sit real tight?

Is it really that painful to lug around? I bought a backpack specifically to be 17" MBP ready a few months ago. Is it really that heavy? I travel semi-frequently but I don't intend to use it much in flight as I have an iPad to keep me busy. Anyways, I usually end up in exit rows or bulkhead seats so I think even the 17 should be fine there?

side note: I was originally looking to get an 11" MBA, but now I'm considering the behemoth 17" instead. In the end, I think big screen, quad core, and awesome graphics will win.

2. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've tried a lot of notebooks too, 13" MBP, then 15", the Air(revb), next a 17" MBP and I've happily settled on the (2010) 13" MBA.

The 15 and 17" are wider but at a cost of using a clunky/heavy notebook.

I'm 6' and sitting on the couch typing this on my 13" Air and I don't have to keep my legs that close together to type comfortably.

Actually since the Air is small and very light I can sit comfortably in a number of positions to type.

For me the 17" was a tank, best used on a desk.

I bet if you spent one evening with a 13" Air in your house on the couch, chair, moving around etc and then you spent the next evening doing the same with a 17" I think you'd choose the Air for sure.

Unless you need the power and/or screen real estate but it comes at the cost of size and weight. It's doable for sure but not near a enjoyable as using the Air away from the desk.

3. 17Mac macrumors newbie

You know... I never used my MBP 15 on my lap. When I have taken it out... always on a table or at a desk. Funny... I have this great Mac... and plan to get the new 17inch.. but mostly use it at a desk with a detached keyboard and on the road, I sit at a table if I am surfing at a cafe, but always with a VPN.

I will keep this in mind when I get my new MBP17. Thanks for sharing....
    glad I signed up, getting a lot of good info.

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    the transition from a 2010 15" to 2011 17" saw a massive increase in power, speed and a few other perks - but there was a hig difference in portability, the 17" is far less portable, and i cant put it on the floor or bed as i did with my 15" MBP - it is a beast though and it wasnt that more expensive than a top end 15" so no real competition.

im waiting for the next gen displays to come out with hopefully OLED and touch screen - so for now, the sacrifice of portability is worth the extra screen real estate

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I don't ever have a problem with portability or carrying it. Sure, its not a small laptop, but for me it never got in the way of anything as I move around a lot.

6. roxnadz macrumors regular

I like the form factor of the 15" but ultimately the lack of expandability and screen space has sent me to the 17" 2 times now.

7. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Initially I bought a 15", did not like it and took it back, was just to close to my 13" air. The 17" was like wow... Instant I a keeping you. It's the resolution and screen that won me over. Yeah it heavier but hey.... Extra exercise to keep healthy. Check out the Rez of the 15 and compare it to the 17

8. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

<sarcasm=on>
    1) Get a bigger bed!
    2) Clean up you room, get the mess off the floor and make room for it or get a bigger room!
    <sarcasm=off>

I too am torn between the 17" and 15", but like the CPU/GPU in the 17".

Have not made my decision as yet, and may go in an entirely different direction after all ( iMac ).

10. diannao macrumors regular

Yes, this is a real benefit of the 17" over smaller laptops; I noticed it right away.

With the right backpack*, I don't feel the weight of the 17". With a backpack which doesn't position the load right, the 15" MBP I was using before really weighed me down. Also, the standard warning about taking into account the total load in your backpack applies. The anti-glare versions of MBPs are lighter than the glossy versions, and anti-glare makes them much more usable in various lighting conditions.

I work at a university with a student store which has an Apple section. Every month or so I go and try using the 11" and 13" MBAs. I've come to the conclusion that for me, while I love the portability of the 11", the screen is too small and I would have to angle my neck too far down to use it. The 13" MBA maxed out (esp. an updated version rumored to come out soon) is certainly worth considering, depending on your needs. That said, I love having a portable workstation with an HD screen, which is what I have with my 2011 17".

* I'm using an STM Bags Large Convertible Shoulder Bag in backpack mode slung over one shoulder. It's great in that position.

11. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I use the 17" for everything, comfortable in every position and easily portable, I carry it around uni every day with a hassleblad and Nikon DSLR + heavy lens, it really isn't that bad. The screen size, resolution and power of the machine is well worth it being marginally (2 inches) larger than the 15".

12. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Everyone will be different but for me the 15" is the right size. Get what you like though!

13. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Yeah, just get what you feel comfortable with. I have a 15" and it works great for me. It fits in my backpack, on my lap, and has decent screen real-estate. The 15" is a lot more powerful than the MBA and its 13" counterpart, but also more expensive. So again, it's a trade off.

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I had the 2011 17" for 2 months and ended up replacing it with a 15" because I moved it around so few times, I might as well have bought a desktop for much cheaper and a lot more power.

15. KwanMan macrumors regular

16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

17" is definitely the most comfortable. The size is no more unmanageable than the 15", but the extra width definitely makes it more comfortable to sit on one's lap.

It's light, it's small, thin, and cool. It is no more uncomfortable to use while sitting next to a fat man on a train than any notebook. Don't listen to the 17" haters, they don't know what they are talking about, and probably have "insufficient manhood" issues.

EDIT: I am 6'3" tall, which might have something to do with why I like the extra size.

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I view the 17 as a desktop replacement also so you have the best of both worlds.

18. bniu thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Yes, I will be going to grad school with the 17" MBP and will travel by plane semi-frequently, but it still seems like the best bet for me. I figure, anytime I need compact, I've got my iPad 2 available.

btw, are there any ways to be discreet about my MBP 17 at school? I'm thinking like a case that doesn't advertise: "Hey look at me, I've got a behemoth of a 17" mbp!"...I basically want the 17" because I want it for me, I don't want others oogling it, asking me about it, or god forbid, think about stealing it. I remember when I first got the iPad at launch, initially the attention received from having one was fun, but then, it just got annoying to the point where I stopped using it in public for a while...

19. diannao macrumors regular

You could get a black speck shell for it and put some band/school stickers on the lid portion of the shell (at the very least you need to hide the glowing Apple logo). Cover the MacBook Pro logo under the display with tape. Perhaps get a colored keyboard cover as well. Your laptop will still be obviously larger than a 12"-14" laptop, but it won't scream MacBook Pro to most people at first glance, esp. if you get the antiglare screen.