17: MBP advice + firewire ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Aug 3, 2007.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I have been debating back and forth between a low level MP and a 17" MBP. The use will primarily be Final Cut Express.
    Just how much slower will the MBP be compared to a dual 2.66 mac pro?
    I know everyone will talk portability.. obviously I prefer portability, but I already have a older macbook 1st gen.
    How about the issue of dropped frames? I will have an external drive and firewire connection to the dv deck. Is there only one firewire bus on the MBP? Do I need a second firewire express card?
    This is confusing because so many threads say that the MBP can do video editing, but then everyone says the Mac pro is the video editing machine, and the MBP will not be very good.
    How bad is the MBP at video with FCE, and what about the dropped frames and firewire bus issue?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The Mac Pro will be faster for rendering, but the MBPs work fine too. I used to do it on an iMac. You shouldn't get any dropped frames, even with FW.

If you need portability, get a MBP, for power a MP.

3. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

If you already have a macbook then screw the macbook pro and get the big boy, I just set up a dual 2.66 w/4gb of ram, 1.25 terabites and 23" apple display and I drooled the whole time. Get the Mac Pro if you can, there's nothing better.

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

A MBP connected to an external screen wont be much slower then the MP. My friend used his MPB on a stand hooked to an external screen and does everything he would normally do without a problem. When it is time to move or go to a coffee shop he can carry it with him.