17" MBP asks if I want to shut down, then does automatically

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rybitron, Jan 20, 2015.

1. rybitron macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my 17" macbook pro. It is the very last model available (I love it). A while ago my macbook would randomly ask if I wanted to shut down, then no matter what I do it does shut down. Right as it shuts down I do hear a single click that seems to come from the right side. Near the dvd drive and the power button. About 2 years ago I pulled out the dvd drive and put the original hard drive in its spot and put a SSD in the spot of the original hard drive. So I have no dvd drive, a SSD for all my programs and OS and the original hard drive for media.

It seems to happen maybe 15 minutes after I turn on the computer. Then once it happens once if I reboot the computer it will happen again very soon, usually within 1 minutes. So it may have something to do with when the computer starts to heat up. Keep in mind I am generally only doing things like surfing the internet, no gaming or video conversion.

Let me know if anyone else has seen anything like this. I believe it is some sort of hardware issue related to the power button maybe?

help!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

What you're hearing is the hard drive's head parking itself after shutdown and is perfectly normal.

That model MBP has a known graphics card issue caused by heat cycling. My gut tells me this is what is causing your problem. There isn't really a fix apart from a new logicboard, which will also eventually fail as they all suffer from the flaw.