17 "mbp - Dead On Arrival?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jul 28, 2009.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

So I'm extremely happy with the screen and overall feel of this laptop, but two things are odd.

1) Although I was initially able to connect wirelessly, it seems to have stopped working after I used the ethernet cable for a while and installing all the software updates. When I click the Airport symbol in the menu bar, I don't get the usual "Airport On/Off" option, but only a message "Airport not configured" and "Open Network Preferences". When choosing that, there's no Wireless option among the options, just Built-in Ethernet, some Parallels Host Guest (no idea what this is), Bluetooth PAN, and Built-in Firewire. Does all this mean the my wireless card is dead?

2) The laptop doesn't seem to be charging fully. Had it on power source for 5 hours now and the battery only shows 74% full (I used it for only 5 minutes on battery after I got it). When I unplug I only get about 3 hours of remaining time, though wireless is off. It should have 7 or 8 hours! Does this mean the battery is broken?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

if its brand new I would definitely call up apple and say something about it.

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, the reason I'm posting here is that I want to know if what I'm experiencing could be normal, i.e. could there be a setting for the wireless card I'm missing, and could it be that it takes very long to charge the battery the first time?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm assuming that you've already done this for the wireless issue, but can you create a new network profile in the System Preferences panel? You didn't mention it specifically, but I figured that it would be worth a check before getting too worried about it. Also, my AirPort and bluetooth are disabled quite often in which case I have to reboot and reset the PRAM. As for the battery, the drive may be undergoing its initial indexing which can use quite a bit of power.

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for this. I was indeed able to create a new network profile for the Airport. I just am concerned that this was erased by the computer to begin with. Never happened to me with previous Macs. Do I have to worry that this laptop will repeatedly erase the network profile?

As for the drive, it is now up to 90%. You may be right about the indexing. I'll keep you posted.

PS: One more question, can I return a mac bought in one store to another if it's not working within the first two weeks? Will be traveling across the country starting tomorrow.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You can go to any Apple store within the first year and get it fixed for free. Buy extended AppleCare for that to be increased to 3 years. AppleCare is only a hardware warranty, so you may want to purchase insurance if you are going places that your MBP could get damaged or broken.

You can return the MBP for a refund within 2 weeks for a 15% restocking fee so long as it is stock (you didn't customize it online).

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Within return period, you can exchange for a new one of the same model at no charge.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Only if they can find a problem with your current one. You can use the excuse, "if my MBP already has a problem to begin with, it is going to develop even more later on" and they should swap it for you, assuming they have the same model in stock.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

I wouldn't worry about it disappearing again. If it does, it's likely a software problem that fixing permissions, or at worst a reinstall, would fix. I've had a bluetooth PAN profile erased in the past without my command, but it's not much effort to put it back.