17" MBP Deals In The USA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bazzy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

What is the best price anyone has found for the new 17" MBP in the USA? I have some relatives out there who may be able to buy one under student discount (how much is that in the USA?) from Apple but I would rather not ask if possible! If ordering from Apple directly, do they always charge sales tax at the end? Do Amazon charge sales tax?

Thank you!

Bazzy!

2. iBadger macrumors member

Best price $2177 (no tax) - http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ .
    Student discount is $2299 + tax(unless you are tax exempt you have to pay tax). Amazon does not charge tax.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The ADC prices plus $100 is probably the best you are going to find from Apple.

MacMall/Amazon after that...

4. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

May I ask, what is ADC?

Thank you!

Bazzy!

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple Developer Connection. Search down for links to the ADC Store. Students can be eligible for only $99 as opposed to $499, so it makes some of the higher-end MacBook Pro's and all Mac Pro's much cheaper...

6. iBadger macrumors member

ADC is $99 to join and the 17" MBP is $1999 + tax. Clubmac is the better deal $2177.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, but the ADC is crazzy for the Mac Pro and BTO...

8. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Yes, it does seem so, once one pays the $99 join fee and adds tax, it costs more than the clubmac deal. Can clubmac do hard drive upgrades at time of order do you know? There are a few folks selling on ebay but I am a little weary of going down this route! There is one seller who is selling a bunch of the 17" models with a starting price of $1899 but he is a new trader with zero feedback - people are still bidding! I would not dare!

Bazzy!

9. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I assume the Clubmac deal is with the special appleinsider discount? With the 3% discount it its 2180.56, $80 more than ADC is you don't have to pay tax.

10. iBadger macrumors member

clubmac just sells the standard 17", no upgrades.... I wasn't even thinking about upgrades.

thegoldenmackid mentioned ADC is great for upgraded orders:

500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm [Add $40.00]
    128GB solid-state drive [Add $160.00]
    256GB solid-state drive [Add $520.00]

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The ADC is ridiculous for Mac Pro's starting at $1999 + $199, for a brand new Mac Pro... And obviously BTO, you could also check MacMall and Small Dog, they don't necessarily do "upgrades" but occasionally they have a couple of BTO's hanging around...

12. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi All,

Well, I spoke to a Club-Mac rep last week and he assured me emphatically that they were getting a bunch of new stock for the 17" UMBP today or tomorrow so I e-mailed my nephew and asked him to make the order. Upon doing so however, he was told that they do not any stock and will probably now not be getting any till the 30th June but could not guarantee even that date by which time it will probably be too late! I am really upset as I cannot seem to find any other good deals out there!

There is ebay but I am really scared of going down this route and if something happens like the seller turns out to be a scammer or does not send the item then my nephew will ahve the hassle of trying to claim his money back from Paypal (which I hear is a nightmare) and I will have taken a big hit! Even things like damage in transit is concerning as with a shop, one has far better chance of them taking care of such things. The only consolation is that a couple look to be genuine with feedback of thousands and are power-sellers or elite power sellers - are they trust worthy and honest?

Does anyone know of any other comparative deals to that of Club-Mac? Please let me know asap!!

Thank You All,

Bazzy!