17" MBP - Does yours have a 'loose' screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twynne, Jun 9, 2007.

1. twynne macrumors 6502a

I've just picked up my new 17" MBP today and I find when tilting the machine at about a 30-degree angle the screen will fall down on it's own to about 45 degrees. On my old 15" Core Duo the screen never moved unless you moved it... regardless of angle.

I went back to the store and tried each of the demo models as well as another new machine and they all did the same. The sales reps concluded that this was as expected due to the greater size/weight of the screen.

A couple of people responded in another thread that they've experienced the same, but I wanted to post separately to get a bit wider response. Please post your experiences so I know if this is a genuine issue and can be resolved.

Thanks,

Tom

2. PDE macrumors 68020

I think they all do that. Mine did and so I checked the ones at the store and they did too.

3. mainomega macrumors 6502

I regularly lay on the floor/bed with my knees up (sit-ups) and the 17" MBP (old and new) both won't stay fully extended. They want to close on themselves. I have 17" HPs and they don't move unless I make them move... so this is annoying

4. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks - that's exactly what I do! I find it difficult to accept that the screen/lid is THAT much heavier than the 15" machines. I have managed to get used to using it at a slightly lower angle already, and I'm sure in time I'll adjust.

I'm still going to check the second machine I have coming (long story!) and see if it improves anything.

Cheers,

Tom

5. daisu macrumors member

You'd think Apple would know this and reinforce the case.

I'm going to the Apple Store in Manhattan tomorrow and will check this out.

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Yes, but I don't find I need to use it at that angle.

7. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

8. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you're the first to report a 17" screen that isn't loose. Can I ask - did you buy it in an Apple store or online? And is it the HD screen or normal?

Thanks,

Tom

9. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

It's the HD screen, and I bought it in an Apple store.

10. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That suggests that 1) not all of them have the issue and 2) maybe something can be done about it. I'll see how the second one is when it arrives this week. If it's the same I may consider just putting it in for repair and getting them to adjust it.

11. Fezwick macrumors 6502

12. fongyuen macrumors 6502

the 17" hi-res one i checked out at the store seemed to have this "problem" as well. anybody else out there that doesn't have this issue on their 17"?

13. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

Mine does the same thing and I always wondered if it was normal. If someone could come up with a fix that would be great.

14. chriswg macrumors member

Mine was just delivered this morning. As far as I can tell, the screen does not "flop" in any direction. I have tried it in all sorts of positions, and it seems to stay wherever I put it. I was actually expecting it to be loose after reading this thread, but I was pleasantly surprised. By the way, I have the High-Res display. I don't know if that makes any difference.

15. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's good news. My replacement should be here tomorrow or Wednesday so I'm hoping it will be better. :)

16. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

Did you guys just get your machines replaced because of the floppy screen?

17. chriswg macrumors member

No, I didn't. I ordered mine from the Apple Store Online, so it just got delivered today.

18. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

19. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got the first one replaced in the Apple store, but the replacement exhibits the same behaviour nearly as bad. I had one ordered online arriving tomorrow or Weds which I'm hoping won't.

20. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

What did they say when you told them your screen flopped?

21. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

He said they thought all of the 17's did, and we tried several in-store machines, each one having the same problem.

22. BlessAndDestroy macrumors newbie

BlessAndDestroy

I too am having this problem. I just got my new MBP three weeks ago and immediately noticed that the screen felt more loose than the one on my girlfriend's 15" MBP. I went to the Apple store in my area and Genius Bar guy walked around with me as we tested the floor models. Most of the 17" MBPs reacted the same way as mine (unfortunately). In the end, the guy wished me luck and said to come back if anything else started happening with the monitor.

Did any of you just have the Apple store just replace your machine with a new one? If so, did it help? I mean, this is a minor complaint for an otherwise amazing laptop, but it is annoying when I'm laying on the couch, trying to use the lappy and the screen keeps falling/closing.

23. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I have a late 2006 17" MBP and it does it too. Seems like the screen is too heavy for the hinges.

24. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The hinges are relatively weak on the 17" compared to the 15". The use the same hinge design in the 15 and 17" models, but the 15" is lighter on the top lid due to it being smaller so it feels "tighter"

25. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, it definitely shouldn't do that. The hinges on my 17" MBP's screen are nice and tight. I can tilt the screen at any angle, and it will stay there. Just like my 15" MBP. Anything less than that would be unacceptable.