Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geltab

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Hi all,

So I am having some really annoying issues with my 17" MBP (early 09). It all started when I updated to 10.6.4 a month or so ago. I remember reading something about fixing keyboard issues on the MBP. Funny enough, I never had a keyboard issue on Snow Leopard. So shortly after upgrading my keyboard stopped working. The main problem is that the shift key on the right side and the option, command and control keys stop working at random intervals. I happens across all programs. i can't reset pram or anything that because the keyboard doesn't work upon startup. So, I took the most obvious route and did a clean install and wiped everything off the computer. I didn't update to 10.6.4. Things were working okay for a while and I updated to 10.6.3, just to be safe. That is when the keys started acting funky again. Same set of keys again. I don't use spaces, it is turned off. I know after researching that some people had issues with using spaces.
At this point I figured that maybe 10.6.4 would fix the keyboard (like it said it was supposed to-but actually broke my keyboard the first time around). Sure enough, it didn't fix a thing. I also installed a copy of windows 7 via bootcamp. Get this... the keyboard issues carry over to Win 7 also. This is weird.

Any solutions or suggestions? I want to think that at this point has to be a hardware issue since it carries over to Windows. But the weird thing is that the keys work sometimes and don't others. This was a documented software issue with 10.6.3 and .4. Could this carry over to Win7 under bootcamp and still be a software fix? Strange thing is they keyboard doesn't work on start up at all. i can't hold option to select what os to boot from.

Thanks for any help!

geltab

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
one more thing...

I forgot to say that my computer doesn't stay asleep. I put it to sleep and 90 percent of the time it wakes back up. Even when I close the lid to put it to sleep. A few times I closed the lid and left the computer only to come back to the fan running like crazy and the computer was burning up.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
See what is causing the problem by open /Applications/Utilities/Console and look at the logs and the latest entries should have the reason why it is openin from sleep.

The Console logs should check every once in a while to see what is happening in your Mac. Plus also in /Applications/Utilities/ another great utility in Activity Monitor. With this you can see if any program is getting out of hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.