Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Maybe you should physically take it into an apple store (one that has 17" in stock) and explain your situation and see if they'll replace it right then and there. If you're on #3, they should do it for you.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
eVolcre said:
2 hours on my lap and no heat. totally normal

eV

What settings? Brightness level? Music?

I can't really leave my 17" on my lap after 20-25 minutes due to the heat. It stays so nice and cool the first minutes you power it on... wish it would just remain cool.

knifegun

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
eVolcre, I would try the Apple store route. Sorry if I spoiled it by pointing out the display issue. If it makes you feel better, my Thinkpad T42 (15") has the line at the bottom but the corners are darker.

With that said, I find it hard to believe that Apple will not address the display issue considering this machine is the choice for people doing graphical type work. I would call Applecare and explain the situation. Don't know what they can do but it is worth a try. If you are nice but stern with them, you may get somewhere depending on who you speak with.

eAspenwood

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2005
USA
eVolcre - Do you do graphical work? If not, maybe the screen eveness is not such a big issue. I think a lot of laptops might not have perfect eveness . I just noticed the 15" powerbook I'm borrowing does not. In fact, I wonder if Apple chose that default desktop background to help mask any uneveness in the lighting in their screens. Maybe I'm just being cynical....

Anyways, I think this might be one of those issues that isn't noticed until it gets pointed out.

As another example of this, I've noticed this powerbook sometimes has a very similar hissy whine as the MBP I sent back (for other issues...). I wouldn't have noticed this type of noise unless it had been pointed out.

Well, whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy India. I bet the macbook will be the last thing on your mind in that crazy place....

-- J.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Wtf

Ok Guys, I swear I haven't been drinking ... my screen became glossy overnight. I am NOT joking. Is this even possible? And no ... I'm not imagining things. It looks completely different. Last night it was definitely matte. Colors were washed out. Today everything is crisp and it is ... GLOSSY. I'm not sure if I like it better, give me a few hours and I wil post my thoughts, right now though... can someone smarter than me explain how a screen can become glossy overnight?? :confused:

To the guy who was asking about heat ... full brightness, running a bunch of processes .. it was definitely cool ...

Back to the screen ... there is definitely more glare. I haven't decided whether it's something I can live with but it looks great (when there isn't glare). Crisper, colors don't seem as washed out ... It's tough to describe it in words though. Back ina bit but I really need someone to explain how leaving it closed for a night can make it look so different ...

eV

knifegun

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
I can't speak to the screen finish change. I can only guess an Apple angel made everything right :)

So now that the screen is glossy :), do you still notice the line on the bottom, right spots on the bottom corners and illumenation uneveness?

Thidranki

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Virginia
I would guess that is a lighting change?

BTW, I just go my MBP in today. It's perfect. No whine, heat isn't anything more than what I'm used to on the PB, and the screen is fine. (There is a noticible strip at the bottom that seems lighter than the rest, but I think its going away.

Hope everything is just as good with you.

Now to put those 20gigs of music on my new computer...

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Thidranki said:
I would guess that is a lighting change?

BTW, I just go my MBP in today. It's perfect. No whine, heat isn't anything more than what I'm used to on the PB, and the screen is fine. (There is a noticible strip at the bottom that seems lighter than the rest, but I think its going away.

Hope everything is just as good with you.

Now to put those 20gigs of music on my new computer...

Really quick post fellas, but I'll be back in an hour or two with more details.

Believe it or not, I think I have a flawless machine. Lets forget the posessed overnight glossy change .. hehe ... probably user error :)

It is a beautiful machine guys. No heat issues. No whine issues both plugged in and on battery. The glossy screen is really really really nice. Did I mention how much I like it? :D

Knife, I don't see the brightness on the bottom two corners anymore. I *think* it has a small bright strip on the bottom but it really doesn't seem to bother me. At least not enough to send it back. It's mine mine mine. hehe

WHat else? Oh - one thing - finger prints will show up. Very prominently and it gets annoying. I had two smear marks right when I unpacked it. I tried removing them with a soft tshirt with no lucj. So .. of course .. I start freaking out thinking its something serious. (hey its my 4th machine, little things freak me out). I went over to the Apple store and picked up some iKlear. Polished it and it looks fgantastic. A piece of advice, if you order the glossy screen, pick up some iclear at the same time.

Back in a bit. I'm putting this thing through the paces to make sure it's a good machine ..

eV

Thidranki

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Virginia
I have the exact same bright strip. I barely notice it tho. Only when I actually look for it.

Beautiful machines, these MBPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.