17" MBP for DSLR footage editing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pudrums, Jun 5, 2010.

1. pudrums macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I want to get a new Mac in the near future. Im a bit undecided between getting a 27" iMac and a 17" i7 MBP. The MBP would be nice, because I can also carry it with me wich I obviously can't with the iMac.
    The system will be used for editing video footage from a Canon EOS 1D and my buddy's 7D. Question is: Will the 17" i7 MBP sufficient to handle this task? I'd combine it with at least one external display and a G-Raid connected via FW800 or eSata (ExpressCard).

Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have a 17" MBP (2009) and the MBP is more than sufficient with handling 12MP RAW photos from a EOS 450D, so I blindly assume the newer MBP is enough for your tasks.

Get a nice backpack to carry it though, as a shoulder back might be to uncomfortable for carrying a 17". And Gravis and CyperPort (Berlin and Dresden) have better prices than Apple.

3. Baycon macrumors member

I think spinnerlys didn't see the part where you wanted to edit Video footage :)

In all honesty, both will be fine (I own "both", the MBP is a 15" i7 however, and the iMac27 is an i5).

If you truly don't need the portability, go with the iMac i7...you'll be able to use an actual quad core chip, with hyperthreading. It's going to be HUGE when editing 1080p video footage. Even the i7MBP isn't quad core, and while doing video, it's a big plus to have.

However, the MBP is a very nice machine, and if you have a nice raid array set up (I put in an SSD in my MBP too...HIGHLY recommend it) you will be fine.

But yeah, if you don't need the portability, go with the iMac i7 =)

4. pudrums thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll go with the MBP, because I just like the idea of being able to carry my workstation around.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I use my 17" on a daily bases to edit AVCHD (converted to Pro res.) with no problems

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Make sure you get the high resolution screen. It will work wonders for video and photo editing!

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 17" MBP does only come with one resolution (1920 x 1200).
    The 15" MBP offers two resolutions (1440 x 900 and 1680 x 1050).