17" MBP fresh OS X install and wireless doesn't show up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kntgsp, Jul 28, 2009.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I swapped in an X-25M, installed OSX. Boot up and there's no wireless listed. Under Network in System Prefs there's Bluetooth, Ethernet and FireWie. That's it.

Just picked this up from the store. Do I have a DOA or does the wireless driver not install from the OS X install dvd?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Hit the plus icon in wireless settings and try manually adding it. I don't know why it isn't there.

3. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only option I get is "FireWire, Ethernet, Bluetooth, VPN, PPPoE, 6 to 4"

I open Airport Utility and hit "Rescan" and it doesn't show anything either. I think it's a lemon. Gonna go exchange it.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you got the MBP from the store, then the original HDD should have a fresh install of Mac OSX on it. Pop that in and see if the problem persists. If it does, you will need to stop by the Apple store.

5. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea just did. Only now it sees the wireless just fine........

It sees it with the 500GB HD but not the SSD?

WTF?

Only now it freezes on startup and the whole "welcome" crap. Weird.

Restarted and now it doesn't see it anymore. I'm taking it back to swap out.

6. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I took it there with the original HD in booted it up, and it worked.

Took it home, swapped in the SSD, and now the wireless works just fine. Weird.

I think I probably just tried to hurry through the "Welcome" start up crap and inadvertently made something crap out. 3 Restarts in an attempt to duplicate the issue and no problem so far.

Oh well. If it jumps up again they said I can bring it in and swap out. Gonna see if there's any firmware updates for the airport as that might be what's at issue.

Just checked. Yep, airport update available. That was probably the issue.