17" MBP GPU underclocking?!?!

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
2,199
32
Woodland Hills
Does anyone know this answer?

Is the 17" MBP's GPU like the 15"s GPU underclocked?

I made a thread earlier for this but failed to find an answer because I had lost the thread...

Let me know
 

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
420
0
I don't know, but if it is, overclocking things in laptops usually isnt the smartest thing to do. Some MBPs seem to have a bunch of heat problems already. And how would you go about overclocking it?
 

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
2,199
32
Woodland Hills
=me hate windows I don't know, but if it is, overclocking things in laptops usually isnt the smartest thing to do. Some MBPs seem to have a bunch of heat problems already. And how would you go about overclocking it?
I have not a single clue. I figured it would cause super heat problems, but just curious because if I added fans or something it might work out ok. But then again I don't even have one yet.

And I have not a single clue on how to overclock that stuff, but I just heard of people doing it.
 

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
420
0
I wouldn't even think about doing it, if you even could. You would void your warranty for sure, and you couldnt even fit another fan inside the case. And who wants to walk around with a big ass fan on the outside of their laptop.:D
 

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
2,199
32
Woodland Hills
Oh haha yeah USB fans walking around thats the new thing didn't you hear? Jeez I tell you its true. Like the boombox on the shoulder!!

No I would over clock it so I could play things like F.E.A.R since GPU at 256 is average/below average for it. The MBP would be sitting at my desk so I would just get those USB fans if they worked, but not acctually install new fans with in. I wouldn't even know where to begin!
 

remowilliams

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
50
0
According to what I've read it would appear the GPU clocks on MBP17 are higher than the stock MBP15s. I'm showing 425/450 on my MBP17 as the default without playing with the clock speeds.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Could possibly be underclocked, but that does not mean it's ripe for boosting it back to where you think it should be.

Apple's configuration could mean they traded 1mm for a heatsink with a lower capacity -- requiring Apple to turn down the clock.

It happens ... engineers do it all the time when a new design fails to meet expectations requiring a cheap hack to kick it out the door.
 

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
2,199
32
Woodland Hills
Sun Baked said:
Could possibly be underclocked, but that does not mean it's ripe for boosting it back to where you think it should be.

Apple's configuration could mean they traded 1mm for a heatsink with a lower capacity -- requiring Apple to turn down the clock.

It happens ... engineers do it all the time when a new design fails to meet expectations requiring a cheap hack to kick it out the door.
Oh yeah. Damn to bad... but oh well can't complain 256 is so sweet... was just in the marked for 512...

I was stupid and checked out ATI's website and saw they had a mobile 512 so I sat there with fingers crossed for a 512 mb GPU... oh well you win some you loose some.
 

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
1,039
8
Technically speaking, by bumping back the GPU to its original spec, it's not really "overlocking." If pushing the GPU past its designed speed, then that would warrant what is called "overclocking" imo.

As for heat, the argument is the same (to a certain extent). Clocking GPU back to original specs COULD push more heat, but in the same time not any if it is just clocking back to designed speeds.

Who knows, anyone wanna try? Lemme know the results :D
 

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
2,199
32
Woodland Hills
remowilliams said:
According to what I've read it would appear the GPU clocks on MBP17 are higher than the stock MBP15s. I'm showing 425/450 on my MBP17 as the default without playing with the clock speeds.
When you say 425/450 what does that mean. 425/450 Mbs like 256 mb video card/ 512 mb video card? or what
 

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
420
0
poppe said:
When you say 425/450 what does that mean. 425/450 Mbs like 256 mb video card/ 512 mb video card? or what
Clock speed of the graphics processor/Clock speed of the RAM
in megahertz
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
n8236 said:
Technically speaking, by bumping back the GPU to its original spec, it's not really "overlocking." If pushing the GPU past its designed speed, then that would warrant what is called "overclocking" imo.
Yeah, but the thing may be underclocked because the casing on the 15" is smaller and can't handle the same amount of heat. Anyway, I wouldn't mess with it.
 

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
1,039
8
Abstract said:
Yeah, but the thing may be underclocked because the casing on the 15" is smaller and can't handle the same amount of heat. Anyway, I wouldn't mess with it.
It is still hard to tell whether it is the heat, battery life, or marketting purposes for the reason Apple underclocked the gpu.

So far I haven't heard or read any reviews of ppl melting their mbps due to clocking it back to original specs.

I'm personally waiting for more data to come in before I clock mine up.