17" MBP High Res - How do you like it??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VanMac, Nov 19, 2007.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey.

I'm looking at getting the 17" MBP High Res.

I cant seem to actually look at one at the store (none on display, and they wont open it up for me).

How do you who own them like it? I have pretty good eyes, so I think I should be OK, but just wanted some feedback from those who have purchased. Any regrets??

I will be doing the typical photo editing, getting into Final Cut Sutdio, Java coding for work using Eclipse, and side HTML coding using Dreamweaver.

Thanks in advance..

2. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I can't speak from a lot of experience b/c I don't own one, but just from my impressions from looking at one for a while at an Apple Store, I think it looks really good and not that small at all. I know it seems like, holy cow, their 23" ACD resolution reduced to just 17", that's nuts! But it really didn't seem so nuts once I saw it. If and when I buy a 17" MBP, I will definitely get the Hi-Res. I'm a developer also, so I know real estate for viewing multiple files at once is key, not to mention photo, video, or music (me) editing.

My Opinion: if you're getting the 17", get the high resolution.

3. rskang macrumors newbie

I own a 17" inch MBP with High res Display that I bought 3 weeks ago prior to that I had the 17" MBP with the standard screen which I sold recently. The difference is huge. very thing seems smaller but very sharp though I have not noticed any difference while playing DVD's but for a fact you have more real estate and its great for opening multiple windows for editing pictures, music and video.
    Though I must add that Apple display are prone to some problems like Backlight Bleeding from the bottom and they could be darker on the edges (uneven lighting). I had to get a replacement due to this reason. I would suggest for a $100 more go for the High Res but if there is a store nearby which have one on display it maybe worth a drive as Apple can be very strict with the returns.
    I say you gotta see it to believe it.

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I love the HD screen. No regrets. It's beautiful. Get it. Yes, everything is a bit smaller but it's not an issue with photoshop or after effects. If i'm reading something online there is an option to view the text bigger, so that helps in certain situations. Now when i use the lcd that i have hooked up to my desktop, it looks crappy.

5. Edwardz macrumors regular

No regrets at all. As long as your eyes are a bit sharp, you'll be fine. I compared 2 17" mbp's side by side, one with HD and one without, and there is a huge difference.

6. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

no regrets about getting the high res screen :) being able to fit a lot of video windows on it is one thing i truly enjoy :)

7. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

my dad has one and he loves it plus i love it. I look at that thing and then i look at my macbook. well lets just say my computer is very small lol

8. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear there are no regrets :)

9. coogee macrumors regular

+1 here.

17" MBP HiRes. Love it.

Had the screen replaced as part of a repair, the repairers goofed and accidentally switched to standard resolution screen - that week was the longest of my life.

Incomparable, like playing pool after snooker :)

10. ivan1234 macrumors regular

I have a 2.4 High Res Glossy MBP and I use it both as a desktop replacement and as a portable for college. It is by far the best computer I've ever used! :D